Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Ubuntu

Options
  • 04-06-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Im trying to install Ubuntu Linux on a Primary partition on my HDD. Heres the disk now
    • XP- 10gb
    • Vista- 21gb
    • Empty Primary partition for Linux -11gb
    • Unallocated - 70gb

Now when I boot from the Ubuntu CD and try to install, My HDD never shows up when it gets to the partion stage.

Am I doing this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Does it show your Xp and vista install or is it just your unallocated space that doesnt show up ? Also you are going to need to make a swap partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

I am also considering installing Ubuntu but unsure as to why i should? What advantages does it have over Vista and XP and what disadvantages? I hear it has no iTunes? Or can u just download it and put it on? Is there anything that won't work with it that works with windows?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Doesn't show up at all? Can you post a screenshot?

And what version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bubba wrote: »
    I am also considering installing Ubuntu but unsure as to why i should? What advantages does it have over Vista and XP and what disadvantages? I hear it has no iTunes? Or can u just download it and put it on? Is there anything that won't work with it that works with windows?
    Cheers.
    Ubuntu comes with a app called RhythmBox which is FAR superior to itunes! I really wish they'd make a windows port of it :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Its 6.10.1

I mean when I'm trying Ubuntu off the LiveCD its fine, But when I click on the Install icon, It goes through the menu until it gets to the partition bit. Then its just searching for ages and nothing comes up.

Might just run it virtually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

if you think installing ubuntu is hard wait til you try uninstalling the fukcer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Cheers.

Advantages are that its free, customizable, different, and maybe has a performance increase over Vista (its less bloated etc).

Disadvantages are that it's less user friendly than Vista (don't install it if you like things that just 'work'), and your Windows apps/games won't work natively.

Theres a dedicated Unix forum in the Operating systems section where they could probably give dozens of pro's and cons if you want a more extensive list.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

6.10.1 isn't a current version anyway. You would be better to download 8.04, which can be got from here

It's probably a fault with the cd, I had a similar problem before. Make sure to run the disc check thing on boot.

Try http://ubuntuforums.org/ for help, or even the Unix board here.

I find the easiest way is to partition off your computer for windows / storage etc, and leave the unpartitioned space for ubuntu. During the install choose the option to use existing free space and it will create all the needed partitions.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

if you think installing ubuntu is hard wait til you try uninstalling the fukcer

Delete the partition and fix mbr with the windows cd. Not that hard actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are you using some sort of RAID controller? Perhaps it is not supported by that particular version of Ubuntu. As already advised, consider download the new LTS (long-term support) version of Ubuntu 8.04 or some other distribution that makes installation very easy, such as Mandriva or openSUSE.

• Advertisement

Ok well I've decided to run Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Now I'm using a Delll Vostro 1000 with an AMD Athlon64 X-2 dual-core CPU TK-55

So I downloaded the 64 bit Latest Ubuntu and burned to a disc. Now when I try to install to my virtual machine it says: Kernal requires x86-64 CPU but only detected i1586 CPU

Should I be using the 32 Bit version? Or does this have something to do with installing it virtually?

EDIT:I don't get that error when I boot off the CD and try to install to the physical disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The virtual machine is running in 32bit mode so Ubuntu thinks its an i586 not a 64bit processor.

Ah I see thanks, Is there any way to run it in 64bit mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Which virtual machine are you using?

MC

VirtualPC 2007. I've downloaded the 32bit Ubuntu now so I'll give that a go and hopefully that'll work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Virtual Ubuntu is the way to go. I'm using sun's virtual box (free) and I have three virtual machines on an xp host - edubuntu, xubuntu & vista ( just for the crack)

Could only get the 32 bit version of ubuntu to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Older versions had problems with SATA controllers on some motherboards, this is probably what's wrong.

Download the latest version and it should detect your disks properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You could try Wubi. Installs from within Windows, no CD needed. There are a few issues with it compared to a proper install of ubuntu but if you're just installing to see what the fuss is about than this is (imo) the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Have you tired WUBI, it's the foolproof way of installing Ubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

mach1982 wrote: »
    Have you tired WUBI, it's the foolproof way of installing Ubuntu

Downloading it now and gonna give it a shot for a while.

The only thing that will probably fully hold me back from switching from Windows to Ubuntu is that i'll be afraid some of my apps won't work with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Downloading it now and gonna give it a shot for a while.

The only thing that will probably fully hold me back from switching from Windows to Ubuntu is that i'll be afraid some of my apps won't work with it.
    Linux is not really a substitute for using Windows in this manner. For the best experience, you should consider using native Linux apps that are similar to the ones you use on Windows. Sure, in many cases you can get a Windows app running through a utility called WINE, but it doesn't integrate with the system as well as native apps.

Advertisement