Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing silicone polish

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Any tips on remove nasty looking silicone polish from dashboards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've no tips, but gave you a bump anyway! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You just after buying the car?!

Just get a cloth, wipe as much off, then use something like sun of a gun to wipe down the panels with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Plenty of soap and water. Or it'll just wear away in time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If the dash is very glossy & shiny (and not a matt, more natural look) then get some APC (All purpose Cleaner) to remove it. Dilute as appropriate. Most of the vinyl or plastic dressings & protectants tend not to clean very much so it is better to get the old stuff off, before putting something else on afterwards. Matt look is best although tbh most stuff you buy in the shops are cheap silicone based ones which are a bit shiny for interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for the tips - I'll pick up some Autoglym all purpose cleaner tomorrow and give it a go over the weekend. Found a forum devoted to detailing - check out these before and after pictures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Use some APC to clean off that crap.. You done need the autoglym stuff.
    Go to your local supermarket or LIDL/ Tesco and pick up a bottle. ( mostly in litre bottles and yellow color )
    SPM_A0080.jpg
    Dilute it with warm water and give the dash a god washing with it.
    Allow it to dry fully and freshen it up with Mr, Muscle window cleaner afterwards.
    693966.jpg
    This stuff is fantastic on interiors.. and guess what?? it is excellent on Glass as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

digitaldr wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips - I'll pick up some Autoglym all purpose cleaner tomorrow and give it a go over the weekend. Found a forum devoted to detailing - check out these before and after pictures!

That's why we never do interiors!!

As TomMc said, a bit of APC diluted down and scrub with a soft brush or a microfiber cloth.

I personally wouldn't use a silicon-based spray in my car as i hate the 'fake' shine they leave behind. Autoglym have a silicon-free spray which is OK, but i'm not sure halfords sell it - might have to try a motor factors.

Alternatively, do some digging on DetailingWorld and you will see some good recommendations.

Advertisement