Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else find comparative . . . the easiest?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Kind of Ironic seeing as it has the most marks going for it - but I've nothing done on it yet (but have notes from 5 months ago) and it can be aced in 2 hours.

I mean, I'm concentrating on the 70 marker (not the 40/30) and it makes it a whole lot easier (Focus on 2, briefly mention the other one). It's always the same as, no?

Also, with 20+ texts on the course - who's going to know whether or not you made a quote up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Yes, in the mocks I cheated for the Othello question, didn't answer the poetry question and got fifty-something for the comparative, not too bad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

It does seem easy but I did'nt get very high on it in the mocks. only 41. Mind you I only wrote 2 pages. How many pages is reccomended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

fivetwenty wrote: »

Also, with 20+ texts on the course - who's going to know whether or not you made a quote up?

I like the cut of your jib.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah comparitive is definatly my strongest

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

The Walsho wrote: »
    I like the cut of your jib.

Eh? It's completely true though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

Definitely, I only gave it a couple of hours study in the last couple of weeks, in comparison to hours on poetry. It's just writing down facts, none of that fancy language...brill!
    And I don't bother using quotes for the comparative. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Turquoise wrote: »
    Definitely, I only gave it a couple of hours study in the last couple of weeks, in comparison to hours on poetry. It's just writing down facts, none of that fancy language...brill!
    And I don't bother using quotes for the comparative. :confused:

Strange - does anyone else? I thought they were just as important as the other two Sections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

definately...if theme comes up,didn study for mock and did well so learning that off but addin in quotes...quotes give u few extra marks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

My teacher said we don't need them, and I got a B1 in comparative in the mocks without them...(with a prick of an examiner who kindly pointed out every flaw). I mean, you're not likely to have quotes from films, if some of your texts are films, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

My teacher said we don't need them, and I got a B1 in comparative in the mocks without them...(with a prick of an examiner who kindly pointed out every flaw). I mean, you're not likely to have quotes from films, if some of your texts are films, are you?

it does help tho 2 back up point ur making:)

yea we did truman show,secret life of bees and importance of bein earnest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Went searching for notes on it all day, found an essay on Literary Genre and am much more confident on it at this stage. Will struggle for 4+ pages though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Nobody ever mentioned needing quotes to me at all.. thought it wasn't necessary. I have.. one quote for each text now, just in case.

Otherwise, yeah. Well. Cultural Context I think is suspiciously easy.. I mean, you're just listing the obvious. Theme is... okay, but it doesn't work too well with my three texts, so it gets complicated.

One of the things I've always liked about the comparative is the not needing quotes. I just can never remember them. I remember plots and things grand, just not quotes... So the comparative is a life-saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I just know a few headings for both theme & issue and literery genre. All I need.

Othello is my worry

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Iv a few quotes from each text, can't hurt

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Remembering Shakespear quotes is the sum of all mother ****ing pains in the arse :mad:

I made up my own quotes in my summer test just there :D

Poetry is piss as is the comparative.

And paper 1 is piss easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Easy for you to say when your not doing them Mr. Keano....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I mean, you're not likely to have quotes from films, if some of your texts are films, are you?
    Ms.Brown-
    'You stole my heart Christy Brown , sometimes I think you are my heart'
    'If I could give you my legs I would'
    'That's the closest your father will come to ever saying he loves you'
    'Christy are you sure you will be alright ?'

Paddy Brown-
    'He's a Brown alright , this man deserves a jar'

Quotes aren't needed but they can help , and when they're already stuck in the mind you may aswell use them .

Yes. It is incredibly simple, hardly worth 70 marks..

I have about one quote from each text and I plan to milk it like ****.

Advertisement