Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert. English - Will I lose marks?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey. I've just done my JC English Exam as I'm sure many of you have done aswell today.
    The thing is, in Paper One in the Personal Writing Section, I did No. 3, the one where you had to add in a sentence during your story but I forgot to add it in.
    Anyone have any idea if I'll lose marks or not, and if so, how many?
    The rest of the two papers went really well and I just want to know if I'll lose a bunch of marks for not including this and if it will be my downfall... :(

Thanks in advance and hope you all did good in your English and do well in the rest of the JC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

did my jc last year! you will lose marks but not that many..! i know someone who did the same thing! dont worry about it and good luck with the rest of your exams!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Reckle

i dont really think you'd lose too many to be honest
    i did no 8 most interesting place or something and wrote about an aliens trip to earth :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I was just reaading the markng schemes and it says:
    Candidates need not include the prompt sentence. Nevertheless, the story written should be clearly related to the prompt.

This was one of the peresonal writing topics on the 2007 paper. I would imagine your story would have to be related to the sentance that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PuddinBum

Pretty sure its an automatic fail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

PuddinBum wrote: »

I had a witty reply, but forgot it :pac::pac:

Its not an automatic fail....you'll loose a few marks alright but nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 shantow

the debate speech was so easy!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

If its a good piece of writing you'll get the marks, check the marking scheme, see what content brings, I presume that will be, at best, halved, other than half marks of the content theres no reason that I can see you won't get full marks in the rest of the marking sections of the essay.

Here if the girl thinks shes going to fail and she doesnt she'll geta pleasant suprise. Just looking out for her best interests is all:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ClaireTheGreat

For the fiction question on paper 2 it said imagine you are that character and say how you think of the other person in the relationship...
    I wrote in the third person saying that that character thinks of the other character as....

Is that wrong? Were we supposed to speak as if we were the person?
    If so how many marks would I lose for that..if any?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 stop_the_craze

Here if the girl thinks shes going to fail and she doesnt she'll geta pleasant suprise. Just looking out for her best interests is all:eek:
    I'm not a girl......... lol :pac:.
    For the fiction question on paper 2 it said imagine you are that character and say how you think of the other person in the relationship...
    I wrote in the third person saying that that character thinks of the other character as....

Is that wrong? Were we supposed to speak as if we were the person?
    If so how many marks would I lose for that..if any?

:confused:
    I wrote it like "If I were [person's name] I feel he would view [other person's name] as blah blah blah...
    I did it something like that but the questoin didn't specify and I went into detail for it so I think it'll be ok :o.

I'm not a girl......... lol :pac:.

Oh ri easy mistake to make when you write in pink writting! My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 stop_the_craze

Oh ri easy mistake to make when you write in pink writting! My bad.

It's red...
    Red
    Pink

See the difference? lol.
    Ano, you're grand. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Thought the first paper was alright apart from an unexpected trip from charles darwin :S done a five page essay filled the booklet with 30 mins left so im happy with that.
    Paper two was okayish, didnt like the drama or the poem but i thought the speech was grand, thopught the q's were abit iffy aswell as they wernt in any previous exam papers like :S
    Hoping for a nice b will be delighted with an A =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thought the first paper was alright apart from an unexpected trip from charles darwin :S done a five page essay filled the booklet with 30 mins left so im happy with that.
    Paper two was okayish, didnt like the drama or the poem but i thought the speech was grand, thopught the q's were abit iffy aswell as they wernt in any previous exam papers like :S

I'd be delighted with an honour.
    As for the OP, the correctors aren't "out to get you" or anything, I'm sure the essay will get the marks it deserves if Jay P's quote from the marking scheme is correct :
    Candidates need not include the prompt sentence. Nevertheless, the story written should be clearly related to the prompt.
    I did the same essay, "the thing that annoyed me most was the unfairness of it all..." I just wrote an essay I had done before and slotted in the sentence! Nothing near 5 pages though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 t-mobile1892

WOW 5 pages of an essay thats impressive i filled the booklet too but did 2 nd a half pages for my essay.... my wrist was killin me after paper 2....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭hurler007

i wouldnt lose sleep over it,you wont lose many marks as long as its a good essay you shud b fine.:D

Advertisement