Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crucible - political situation

Options
  • 04-06-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

Bit of a quick question here... for anyone studying The Crucible.

What is the political situation of Salem?
    I know it's a theocracy, but are they governed by a higher power elsewhere in Massachussetts? It's only for a tiny bit of a potential Cultural Context essay, but it's been bothering me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bit of a quick question here... for anyone studying The Crucible.

What is the political situation of Salem?
    I know it's a theocracy, but are they governed by a higher power elsewhere in Massachussetts? It's only for a tiny bit of a potential Cultural Context essay, but it's been bothering me.

im studying it too, (although we're in 5th year so its not 100% done)

em i dont think so tbh, its not mentioned as far as i know, theres higher power in the form of respected people (Rev.Hale)?

anyway i hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Fad wrote: »
    im studying it too, (although we're in 5th year so its not 100% done)

em i dont think so tbh, its not mentioned as far as i know, theres higher power in the form of respected people (Rev.Hale)?

anyway i hope that helps

No, they are self governed and as they are a theocracy only answer to someone of a higher authority in the church: Parris > Danforth > Hale.
    They aren't governed by a single state body and there is no specific capital. All affairs are considered domestic and dealt with in the the local courthouse. If a situation gets out of hand or a particularly heinous crime is comitted they would request the presence of a higher authority or someone with knowledge in the area ie. Danforth.

Hope that helps a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah right, I thought Danforth came in from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Ah right, I thought Danforth came in from somewhere else.

He did, when I say "area" I mean surrounding 50 miles or whatever an achievable distance to them was.

Remember why the Puritans are there in the first place. They were persecuted in Europe through a stigma attached to them but also laws that were not favourabel to their religion. So when they settled in America they weant funking crazy in shaping their laws around their baptist bullsh*t!

Advertisement