Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry - Clove oil experiment

Options
  • 04-06-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Couple of questions on this, as my book goes into very little detail. What do cloves smell like? Apparently they have a distinct odour?
    Why are anti-bumping granules used? (I know they're used in loads of experiments, but I can't remember why)
    What is the principle behind steam distillation? (I've learnt a little bit off, but I don't really understand it)
    Any other questions likely on clove oil?
    Panicking at this stage! Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

Turquoise wrote: »
    Couple of questions on this, as my book goes into very little detail. What do cloves smell like? Apparently they have a distinct odour?
    Why are anti-bumping granules used? (I know they're used in loads of experiments, but I can't remember why)
    What is the principle behind steam distillation? (I've learnt a little bit off, but I don't really understand it)
    Any other questions likely on clove oil?
    Panicking at this stage! Thanks! ;)
    1 = sweet ester like smell (fruity)
    2 = they smooth out the reaction (evenly boiling all the material)
    3 = 2 immicable liquids (water + another) boil off at lower temprature than either of their boiling points, they are condensed and seprated without the oil (long chain molecules) breaking down
    i already posted my question somewhere cant remember it now :P probably my bio/chem/physics thread

Advertisement