Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most underrated county in Ireland ?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Maybe 10 years ago, at the start of the C Tiger, quite a few counties could have fought over this "title".
    But in 2008, other contenders like Leitrim, Sligo and Cavan have moved on a bit - whether positively or negatively.
    So I'm putting it out there - is Ros the most underrated county in the country ?
    Let me start ...
    I think it's a great place. Gorgeous little villages like Keadew, Tarmonbarry, Castlecoote and Cootehall, attractive mid sized towns like Boyle with its Abbey and King House, Castlerea and indeed the county town.
    But what's best about the place is its nature. Lough Key to the Suck Valley Way. Mote Park to the Curlew Mountains. All the lovely stone walls of the south of the county and the Shannon, without all the built up mess of other stretches.
    Share your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There was a survey done last year I believe, made on habitants of each county.

Roscommon came out as the least desirable county to live in Ireland .... if they're own people think that, then it's going to be hard to fight that mentality.

I also like Roscommon, the fact there is no point touching the coast is a minus though.

Roscommon tourism board needs to step up to the plate and let other Irish people know about their county. Mayo/Sligo/Galway and Leitrim all spend a fair bit of marketing money, I don't see Roscommon spending anything.

Most under-rated county? ...... Not sure if that's an accurate portrayal of Roscommon .... not realising potential is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Would be brilliant if maybe someone set up a film production in Roscommon. Maybe somebody already has!!! I work for a production company based in Dromahair, Co Leitrim and we have done great things to promote the area. Filming in the hotels and making DVD brochures and promoting the West at large conventions. One recently was held in Croke Park where many companies from the West of Ireland were setting up their stalls and promoting themselves. Roscommon certainly had quite a good few company represented and did the county proud. We got a lot of good footage for the local communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Culchie wrote: »
    I also like Roscommon, the fact there is no point touching the coast is a minus though.

Roscommon tourism board needs to step up to the plate and let other Irish people know about their county. Mayo/Sligo/Galway and Leitrim all spend a fair bit of marketing money, I don't see Roscommon spending anything.

They have an add on the radio, it mentions "the blue flag beaches of Galway, Mayo and Roscommon." I always wondered where they are :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They have an add on the radio, it mentions "the blue flag beaches of Galway, Mayo and Roscommon." I always wondered where they are :D

Lough Ree perhaps? A bit like the swiss navy... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I noticed in Saturday's Irish Times that Tom Doorley (whose writing I don't like at all) says the two counties in Ireland where you have to travel the furthest for a decent meal are Tyrone and ... Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

If you only look at the Roscommon forum the negativity from roscommon people themselvs is enough to put people off. Its a great county and Roscommon town is a good town for its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

chahop wrote: »
    If you only look at the Roscommon forum the negativity from roscommon people themselvs is enough to put people off. Its a great county and Roscommon town is a good town for its size.

It's the most boring county in Ireland. and Boyle is, if you ask me the most unfriendly town in Ireland.

Jabby wrote: »
    It's the most boring county in Ireland. and Boyle is, if you ask me the most unfriendly town in Ireland.

Dunno, I know loads from there, pretty sound bunch:confused:

I agree Ros town is a great little spot. Really good town park designed around the castle with good kids' playground. Great man's shop on main st called Donnellan's. Good pubs up around the square. Lovely places to walk in nearby Mote Park and the Suck Valley Way in Athleague just 6 miles away.
    Boyle : I think it's situated in a great part of Ireland and has a fantastic fast flowing river going thru it. Real nice streets, with the Lough Key Forest Park nearby, its Abbey, King House and so on. But it's badly in need of investment - some people held the town to ransom over the C Tiger years, with the result that booming Carrick now totally dominates it. No new retail, a disgraceful hotel in the centre where whoever owns it obviously refuses to invest. Many closed down small shops. It should be so much better. It even had a nice resto in Chambers, but even it's now gone.
    But I still love the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

UP ROS!!
    i'm feeling homesick!:mad:

• Advertisement

Connacht wrote: »
    Boyle : I think it's situated in a great part of Ireland and has a fantastic fast flowing river going thru it. Real nice streets, with the Lough Key Forest Park nearby, its Abbey, King House and so on. But it's badly in need of investment - some people held the town to ransom over the C Tiger years, with the result that booming Carrick now totally dominates it. No new retail, a disgraceful hotel in the centre where whoever owns it obviously refuses to invest. Many closed down small shops. It should be so much better. It even had a nice resto in Chambers, but even it's now gone.
    But I still love the county.

Same could be said about Castlerea .... same town as 20 years ago from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Dunno, I know loads from there, pretty sound bunch:confused:

We used to work in different parts of the West and North West and stayed in many many towns in Mayo,Roscommon, and Donegal.

Boyle was a dreadful place. We were there for a week and it felt like a month. The film 'Deliverance' came to mind ...or that weird region in the centre of France 'France Profond' where the locals won't talk to any 'strangers'.

Even going back to the days when we would regularly travel to different discos we had the misfortune of wasting a good night by going to Boyle.
    Cold women were the order of the night I'm afraid... and not the best lookin' either to be honest.

Maybe it's because the name Boyle reminds one of acne or spots or something, I don't know. I still get the creeps driving past it.

Hope it's changed now but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I live down the road from Boyle in Frenchpark, but I'm originally from Co. Mayo so hopefully I'll not get stoned for commenting. Its a town that never did get over the years of oppression by the King family and their ancestors. The catholics and protestnts in the town don't mix and you can sense the atmosphere. The social scene in Boyle is non existent and all strangers are stared at and kept at arms length. I have tried a few times to have a sociable pint in the place, but failed.

Yeah, I thought a discussion on Co Ros might degenerate / develop (delete as appropriate) into one on Boyle. But the town should be so much better ... Of course, it has been totally overshadowed by Carrick and if you want your night out, then bo there. I susprect that's what Boyle people do. Any confirmation or denial of that ?
    Culchie - I disagree on Castlerea. It's really improved over the last 2 / 3 years. Quite an attractive little town now.
    But again, I don't want to say if RN is good, bad or indifferent. I think it's underrated, in other words better than what people might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Connacht wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought a discussion on Co Ros might degenerate / develop (delete as appropriate) into one on Boyle. But the town should be so much better ... Of course, it has been totally overshadowed by Carrick and if you want your night out, then bo there. I susprect that's what Boyle people do. Any confirmation or denial of that ?
    Culchie - I disagree on Castlerea. It's really improved over the last 2 / 3 years. Quite an attractive little town now.
    But again, I don't want to say if RN is good, bad or indifferent. I think it's underrated, in other words better than what people might think.

Ya, a lot of people go to Carrick. I'm from Limerick but I've been living and working in Boyle for the last 7 years. It is overshadowed by Carrick, which has been developed and there is a lot of industry there which brings in more people which means more restaurants, pubs etc. Boyle doesn't have that so it's not a town you would pick to go on a random night out in, strangers are going to be noticed in a small town which doesn't get many outsiders visiting for a night out.
    It needs a lot of investment but it's not the worst place to live. People I've found are generally quite friendly. I don't have any huge desire to return to living in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Same could be said about Castlerea .... same town as 20 years ago from what I can see.

Only now with more scumbags. It has some wonderful walks and, rivers and lakes to be fair a lot more than some counties. I love fishing down on Lake O'flynn and taking the boat down to Boyle for a weekend. It is boring for some im sure but to be honest I like the quietness these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

I feel sooooo depressed after reading all these comments on Roscommon!! I'm half afraid to say I'm from roscommon... but I don't think it's smthg to be ashamed of. I can understand some of the remarks but I still love the place! Roscommon people can be a bit standoffish but get talking to them and you'll realise they are very geniune and warm once they've sized you up! I live in dublin now but i really enjoy going home to roscommon because the pace of life is so relaxed. I don't work in tourism btw!! There is fantastic scenery especially round boyle and tarmonbarry. It's not the ring of kerry but it's unique in it's flatness!! the services and shops in roscommon town have improved immensely in the last 5-10 yrs..I sometimes prefer to shop in roscommon for the likes of furniture and other homewares as it is a far more pleasant experience, convenient and often cheaper than dublin! and I don't have to panic about the car being clamped! I would seriously consider moving back to roscommon but for the lack of jobs. It's also a bit quiet on the entertainment/cultural front...I think it's better for older more settled people. That said..Roscommon is great! ...quit the negativity Rossies!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

I agree that our county is underrated. It has an awful lot to offer. Only last Wednesday I was in Castlerea to see the opening parade for Rose of Castlerea festival the best provincial parade in the country without a doubt. Boyle Arts festival, rivers, lakes, angling, County town with more to offer than other towns twice its size. We are located ideally to travel to any major centre Galway, Sligo, Athlone etc. etc.

Low crime rate, good quality of life, friendly people, good schools, international airport on the doorstep, two diferent train lines running through the county!

Ballaghaderreen, Castlerea are two progressive towns, Roscommon developing very well and then there's Boyle the weak link and mainly due to their outlook. Looking back at Carrick instead of looking forward!

We also have a wonderful tourist product, Arigina, King House, Forest Park, Boyle Abbey, Clonalis House, Strokestown House, Walled Garden and Famine Museum, Shannon, Lakes, Hells Kitchen and its train,

Music, Dance Culture etc etc.

Lads be proud of your County and all it has to offer. We are underrated but at least we dont over rate ourselves!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

Right I've had enough of all the negativity on other messages. Roscomon is a lovely friendly place.:P Know nothing about Boyle's social striff but Roscommon town, Strokestown:D, Castlerea, Athlegue, Tarmon, Keadue and many other towns and villages are nice places, that many people enjoy visiting and living in. so i'm inviting all rossies to voice their objection to all this negative sentiment!!! we won most popular county on the monopoly board....time for solidarity AGAIN ROSSIES:D:D:D!!!

Listening to the 2FM news this morning, we have the longest life expectancy in Ireland, or maybe it just feels like it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

DenMan wrote: »
    Would be brilliant if maybe someone set up a film production in Roscommon. Maybe somebody already has!!! I work for a production company based in Dromahair, Co Leitrim and we have done great things to promote the area. Filming in the hotels and making DVD brochures and promoting the West at large conventions. One recently was held in Croke Park where many companies from the West of Ireland were setting up their stalls and promoting themselves. Roscommon certainly had quite a good few company represented and did the county proud. We got a lot of good footage for the local communities.

I know that there is a production company Mimar (with some ex RTE heads) in Roscommon, they do contract work for RTE filming documentaries and that.

I am from Roscommon but living in Dublin and my missus is from NYC. She really likes the town and villages, finds folks friendly and she thinks the town is pretty.

Check out the town park beside the castle. They really outdid themselves when they put it in. Beautiful.

The town centre too hasnt been ruined by the advent of malls in the outskirts. It is still intact and has many nice boutique shops (Gleesons and time pieces)

And really pay a visit to Athleague, Town and County is a old country house converted into a furniture shop. You can wander through each room in the house and look at the furnishings. Has a converted Church turned into a cafe and overlooks the such (opening times are weird though)

All in all it is under rated and im proud of the town

If you love your Roscommon, get home for the weekend of Sept 13 & 14 for the Suck Valley Walking Festival. Get to the Suck Valley Visitor Centre reffered to above in Athleague.
    Will it be the best weekend of your life ? Probably not, but it will be everything we love about Roscommon - calm, peaceful and freindly.
    Contact www.suckvalley.com
    JDI - Just Do It !!

Advertisement