Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl netgear a letal combo

Options
  • 04-06-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

hi i was having trouble with my wireless modem dropping signals all the time so i rang the dreaded ntl cs, as usuall i was fobbed off with a premium rate number when i refused to ring it low and behold they gave me a free fone number for netgear disaster , first i could bearly make out what the guy was saying i think the call centre was in new delhi or some were then the gut said hit the reset button at the back of the router which i did the he said hard wire it to your lap top and go to 192.168 etc and hit the set up wizard , when i tryed this ,i couldnt access the site , when i rang back he said well thats not my problem and ring ntl, im close to tears now at this stage , i ring ntl and well my wireless isnt working, the network isnt even showing on the etray, dont know what to do, would i be better buying a new router.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hitting the reset button will do just that. So, as it's a Netgear, its default IP address should be http://192.168.0.1

You will need to open this page to configure your router and, more importantly, lock down your wireless to stop nasty folk cracking your router before you get a chance to configure it.

More than likely, your PC is assigned an IP address by DHCP, which makes it all automated. If you're connecting by wifi, it's a different story so you should connect your router directly to your PC using an ethernet cable (patch lead, not crossover) to enable you to access your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

tryed that address browser wont let me open it for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Open up your network connection settings, under Control Panel. In XP, you can try right-clicking on the icon for your LAN connection and choosing 'repair'. I think it's called 'diagnose and repair' in Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

almanu wrote: »
    hi i was having trouble with my wireless modem dropping signals all the time so i rang the dreaded ntl cs, as usuall i was fobbed off with a premium rate number when i refused to ring it low and behold they gave me a free fone number for netgear disaster , first i could bearly make out what the guy was saying i think the call centre was in new delhi or some were then the gut said hit the reset button at the back of the router which i did the he said hard wire it to your lap top and go to 192.168 etc and hit the set up wizard , when i tryed this ,i couldnt access the site , when i rang back he said well thats not my problem and ring ntl, im close to tears now at this stage , i ring ntl and well my wireless isnt working, the network isnt even showing on the etray, dont know what to do, would i be better buying a new router.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1. Makes sure its a network cable your using:

One of these:
    rj45-plug-pins.jpg

Not a telephone cable, that won't work, where did you get the cable from ?

If the internet is that important, just plug your laptop straight into the NTL box, restart the modem and you should be online.

Not really NTL's problem that your wireless router is shagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

craichoe wrote: »
    1. Makes sure its a network cable your using:

One of these:
    rj45-plug-pins.jpg

Not a telephone cable, that won't work, where did you get the cable from ?

If the internet is that important, just plug your laptop straight into the NTL box, restart the modem and you should be online.

Not really NTL's problem that your wireless router is shagged.
    yeah its one of those, i know i souldnt have had apop at ntl ,its just every time i ring them they try and get me to ring a premium number like in this case when it has nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

First do this

Ensure the Ethernet cable is connected to port 1 2 3 or 4 and make sure one of those lights come on. Do not connect it to the one closest to the antenna

Second do this

Start
    Control Panel
    Network Connections

Ensure the Local area connection is enabled.

Right Click the local are connection click properties.

Double click Internet Protocol tcp/ip. On the new window ensure automatically obtain IP address and DNS are selected.

Third do this

Shut down the computer and power down the router.
    Power back on the router an wait till the tick light goes out
    turn back on the computer and keep pressing F8 over and over
    When the boot options come on select safe mode with networking esure you dont select just safe mode
    Hit enter

Once computer is booted open Internet Explorer
    Click Tools
    Click Internet options
    Click Advanced
    Click restore defaults

Then browse to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or www.routerlogin.net

This should allow you configure your router or at least get to the router config page.

Once configured reboot your computer to bring it back up in normal mode

If you need help after that repost

Advertisement