Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Questions ! ! !

Options
  • 04-06-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

In the Poetry for the morning. I only learned Rich and Bolandf, or should I say am learning, (no smart comments pease about how I should have studied more, thank you).

1. The poem Power by Rich, I don't get it, what does it mean, I am not asking for a line by line explanation but overall whats the pom about??? Anyone????

2. The poem Roofwalker by Rich, Don't get what that means either, like what is it symbolic of????

Thanks, just doing a bit of study here and wnna make sure I know everything down to a tee ! ! ! !

Best Of Luck Everyone ! ! !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'm studying the same as you but not the same poems. To be honest, if you know three poems very well by each poet, you'll get your marks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ever hear of google or skool.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Good thinking Buddy ! ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Power I'm not 100% on either, something about feminism.

As for the Roofwalker, the theme is her wanting to break out. To experiment. To do something different, even if it means exposing herself, rather than reading about someone else putting themself out there. That's the metaphor of fleeing naked across the rooves, exposed and precarious.

Her father trained her as a poet in conservative traditional fashion that she wants to break away from. "a life that I did not choose chose me". Pretty much it.

Nope nothing on there explaining what they mean, anybody know ! ! !

• Advertisement

Thanks "Parsley", anyone know anything about Power and why it has all those gaps ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

"The Roofwalker" is about her feeling weird cause she's a lesbian (not trying to be funny that is what it means). The whole "my tools are wrong" thing is... y'know... she wants to have man-tools, and the whole calculations bit is about how a woman's life is not planned to involve scissoring (maybe don't write that exactly but the general gist is rightish). Can't really remember what Power is about... Marie Curie was the first big female name in a science field...

Thanks "TheAmateur", still wondering about Power, I have Roofwalker down now ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Thanks "Parsley", anyone know anything about Power and why it has all those gaps ! ! !

That's about her experimenting with form and punctuation - the gaps stand for punctuation, but she uses gaps because it grabs more attention, and forces people reading it to pause, unlike normal punctuation cos we're used to it.

Ah right, that bit about the whole punctuation stuff could be thrown down in an owl conclusion or something, sounds good, just the poem is mad, don;t get what she does be going on about at all . . . . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 PuddinBum

The Poem is about the paradoxical naure of Power - it causes fame, i.e Marie Curie, brings change yet it can simultaneously destroy as it purifies, i.e. radiation killed Curie the same thing that brought her fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

In the Poetry for the morning. I only learned Rich and Bolandf, or should I say am learning, (no smart comments pease about how I should have studied more, thank you).

1. The poem Power by Rich, I don't get it, what does it mean, I am not asking for a line by line explanation but overall whats the pom about??? Anyone????

2. The poem Roofwalker by Rich, Don't get what that means either, like what is it symbolic of????

Thanks, just doing a bit of study here and wnna make sure I know everything down to a tee ! ! ! !

Best Of Luck Everyone ! ! !

The roofwalker:
    • Rich sees men working on the roofs. she described them as 'giants' and portray them as godlike heroes.
    • Then this causes her to reflect on her own life/marriage etc. "I feel like them up there"
    • She then asks herself was it worthwhile "to build with infinite excursion, a roof i cannot live under" she thinks of her marriage and all the work that she put into it over the years. was it worth while when now she is clearly not happy with the result of all that effort and building?
    • Then the important part: She contemplates leaving the marriage. She here adopts the person of a naked man fleeing across the roofs. The fact that he is naked reflects a new beginning, no possessions being taken from the old life.
    • Learn this quote at least: "a naked man fleeing across the roofs who could, with a shade of difference, be sitting in the lamplight.....reading about a naked man fleeing across the roofs."
    • The metaphor at the end shows a choice. Should she flee naked across the roofs(leave her marriage and start over) or should she sit in the lamplight and read about someone else doing what she wants to do (should she stay in the marriage unhappy, and have it always on her mind)
    Thats more than you need for that poem. The roofwalker is one of a series of poems about the end of her marriage. here she just thinks about leaving her marriage and weighs up the options. talk about how you looooove the metaphor etc etc...

leaving a marriage between her and a woman or a man???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

I think Power is about how destructive power can be, and also how it is often the things we work at, the things we cultivate and love, that lead to our destruction. Perhaps referring to her marriage and what it did to her. "Her body bombarded for years by the element she had purified"
    I've studied it, but it never gets much mention in my questions, not enough meat in it. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

leaving a marriage between her and a woman or a man???

her marriage with her husband. basically what happened with her is. she was married, had some great times. realised she was a lesbian and decided, after writing alot of poems, to leave him. subsequently he committed suicide because of this and she wrote the poem "From a Survivor" which is a lament for him being "wastefully dead". just a little background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

leaving her husband i think..
    power is about marie curie who devoted her life to discovering stuff about radiation & all that, & marie curie died of cancer probably caused by her exposure to the radiation. it makes sense if you know its about that. :)

Advertisement