Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

yet another new VRT and motor tax thread

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm just wondering where the gorernment will be pulling their data from in relation to cars imported after july 1st.

They have a website set up http://www.sei.ie however i have found a few inaccuracies on it. Just wondering is this what they will be using in the tax office to determine what tax you should be paying etc?

eg they say a 180bhp old style audi tt coupe is putting out 228 co2, whereas i know for a fact that the car puts out 216. this is a difference of 1,000 euro per annum road tax and a different vrt as well.....

would be grateful if someone knew what database they wil use, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ramanujan wrote: »
    I'm just wondering where the gorernment will be pulling their data from in relation to cars imported after july 1st.

If it's a UK export, they will use the figure as written on the V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

eg they say a 180bhp old style audi tt coupe is putting out 228 co2, whereas i know for a fact that the car puts out 216. this is a difference of 1,000 euro per annum road tax and a different vrt as well.....
    Dear God! Pre-2008 cars will be road taxed on the existing cc-based system. :mad:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

esel wrote: »
    Dear God! Pre-2008 cars will be road taxed on the existing cc-based system. :mad:

Wonder how they'll work out subsequent increases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

esel wrote: »

I'm thinking of importing one as my next car smarty pants. (read the OP)
    and won't have the cash till later in the year.
    hence my question

I'm thinking of importing one as my next car smarty pants.
    and won't have the cash till later in the year.
    hence my question

Read what he said. What the Road Tax rate is on the CO2 scale is irrelevent, as it will be taxed under the cc scale, no matter when you import it.

Raises an interesting point though - what will happen in 2009, when UK cars are being imported that were first registered in the UK after 01/07/2008 - what scale will they be on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

testicle wrote: »
    Raises an interesting point though - what will happen in 2009, when UK cars are being imported that were first registered in the UK after 01/07/2008 - what scale will they be on?
    Cars first registered 01/01/2008-30/06/2008 can opt for either road tax system; cars from 01/07/2008 will be on new system, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Read up smarty pants. esel was stating a fact that applies to YOU.

If you import a car after 1/7/08 that was registered ANYWHERE on God's green earth before 1/7/08; it will be taxed based on Engine CC.

Making your €1000 extra irrelevant as any used car registered before that date will be taxesd based on CC making the 1.8 Audi €590. For imports that were first "born" (registered) between 1/1/08 and 30/6/08, there's an opt - in system which I can't speak for in regards to confirming which system applies to imports or if it remains that way for imports too.

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you import a car after 1/7/08 that was registered ANYWHERE on God's green earth before 1/7/08; it will be taxed based on Engine CC.

I'd be delighted if this is true, so hopefully I'm wrong and stand to save a few bob. however I did read up http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm

it states:

"
    Imported Second-Hand Vehicles

When an imported second-hand vehicle is presented for registration, the levels of CO2 emissions at the time of manufacture must be declared to Revenue on form VRT4 (the form used by an individual to register a second hand car).

If the vehicle originated within the EU, the declaration must be supported by documentary evidence confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle to the satisfaction of Revenue.

"

so basically the emissions of the second hand vehicle DO matter??

whoops, i bow to the greater knowledge of the esel.

emissions will affect the vrt alright, but not the level of motor tax.

sorry for the mix up....

looks like ill be paying the highest band of vrt though, don't really mind a once off hit though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd be delighted if this is true, so hopefully I'm wrong and stand to save a few bob. however I did read up http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm

The revenue site isn't fully up to date, Esel's right.

The fact that Ministers are making more U-turns than a dog chasing his tail doesn't help.:D

• Advertisement

yea and as far as i can having this many options for where you get your Co2 figure is asking for trouble:

"
    the Certificate of Conformity (if it is available),
    a printout from the Revenue ROS Enquiry System where the level of CO2 emissions is shown www.ros.ie
    evidence included on a previous registration document e.g. the UK V5,
    the level of CO2 emissions stated on a previous National Car Test performed elsewhere within the EU provided the CO2 stated is that given at the time of manufacture,
    A print out for the vehicle from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) web site, www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk
    A printout from the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) web site
    A printout from the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) website
    A certificate from the manufacturer or main distributor stating the level of CO2 emissions.
    "

basically people have to look up their emmissions on the different websites, and if they are smart, choose the one which gives the lowest co2? This is going to be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just in case there's any lingering doubts - I imported a 2005 Honda CRV from the UK on Tuesday. VRT was charged at the old rate as was motor tax:

tax.gif

digitaldr wrote: »
    Just in case there's any lingering doubts - I imported a 2005 Honda CRV from the UK on Tuesday. VRT was charged at the old rate as was motor tax:

tax.gif

What has that got to do with anything?

The new rules only effect vehicles iimported after the 1st of July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭alias no.9

yea and as far as i can having this many options for where you get your Co2 figure is asking for trouble:

<snip>

the level of CO2 emissions stated on a previous National Car Test performed elsewhere within the EU provided the CO2 stated is that given at the time of manufacture,

<snip>

basically people have to look up their emmissions on the different websites, and if they are smart, choose the one which gives the lowest co2? This is going to be a mess.

CO2 emissions are not measured in the NCT. Don't worry, you're not the only one making this mistake, that clown Mary White from the Green Party was harping on about how green her wonderful car was on the radio, quoting the emissions readings from her previous NCT which really mean nothing other than the fuel air mixture was correct, complete combustion was occurring and there were no leaks in the exhaust.

Advertisement