Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing yourself during the exams

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

They say timing needs to be perfected to do well in exams. How did you find yourself timewise this morning? First, I'd like to say I thought the time flew by - did not think was in the exam centre for almost 3 hours! I thought my timing was alright. For most of my subjects, I start with the question that carries most marks, i.e. Comparative. How was your timing this morning and is there room for improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

MaltEagle wrote: »
    They say timing needs to be perfected to do well in exams. How did you find yourself timewise this morning? First, I'd like to say I thought the time flew by - did not think was in the exam centre for almost 3 hours! I thought my timing was alright. For most of my subjects, I start with the question that carries most marks, i.e. Comparative. How was your timing this morning and is there room for improvement?

Timing is my downfall in these exams. In the Mocks the exams i did poorly in (Geo, Business) was all down to running out of time or rushing questions. I just can seem to leave a question and move on leaving it undone.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Same here. Mainly for English and History though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

1260_FULL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What I used for the leaving and still for college exams is write what time you start the question at the top of the page, very easy to at least keep track of where your time is going then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I had plenty of time. In fact someone in our room left at 10:25, I was like wtf is wrong with you? XD

I finished at 11:50 and left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Somehow I spent most time on my question (a) in seciotn 1 (about an hour nd a half I'd say) :mad::mad::mad: Time flew by! But luckily I got my part (b) withing half a hour .. which of course left me to do my essay in 50 mins .....

I'm not too good at time keeping at all ... although I managed to get a 3 adn a half page essay done in 50 mins! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I finished at 12:15, although i forgot all about the timing. I gave too much time to question A and then was stuck for time in question B. Spent about 50 mins on the composition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Spent WAAAY too much time on A and only had 30 mins for B and then was stuck with 20 mins for Short Story....lets just hope A and B were reasonable:(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

this morning i took up my english papers are read the suggested timing on it. followed that and had plenty of time.

Did the same for paper 2
    Basicly 1 hr a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I had plenty of time. In fact someone in our room left at 10:25, I was like wtf is wrong with you? XD

I finished at 11:50 and left.
    No one left in our room at all, though most of the people in my room are the best of our year as it turns out and there was only one person who went to the bathroom.

As for timing I kept looking at my watch a lot and it worked. I was finished about 10-15mins before the time was up giving me plenty time to look over what I had wrote.

I did gain a lot of time by only reading the 1st text as it looked nice and I barely read the 1st line in the other two texts, I know you supposed to read it all but it worked out well for me and it gave me a lot more time to write my answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I only read read the Text1 fully as I was doing Question A on it. I did the article in Text3 QuestionB. So I didn't bother reading it. :o

Actually managed my time very well (for a change). Did my essay last and left myself a good hour and ten minutes to do it. Finished in an hour and then just looked over my paper.

I brought a little clock into my exam with me. Almost hit it a few times as the tick tock tick tock was driving me mad. :rolleyes:

Maybe I might go digital tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

My part A took about an hour and 15 minutes. Part B took about 45 minutes. (These are just estimates. The only time I looked at the clock was when I was starting my essay and it said 11:30) My essay was 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The essay I always found I had about 60 minutes to do. I loved the essay though.

The time I've ever ****ed up my timing was when I sat Geography in 05': spent 60 minutes on the first question, and never really recovered after that. Never even got to complete the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Was grand for English paper 1, had over an hour to do the short story but once you get an idea it's quick enough to do.

English 2 will be another story. I always go over in my poetry answers, and probably comparative too.. Unseen poetry may suffer. I'll see. I'll give myself the allocated time to do each question and once (if) I go over I'll stop and move on, then if I've time I'll go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

I was absolutely delighted with my timing today finished at 12:20 on the button!The supervisor fella gave us an extra 10 minutes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

stuba9 wrote: »
    I was absolutely delighted with my timing today finished at 12:20 on the button!The supervisor fella gave us an extra 10 minutes though!

a little on the button, no?

Hope you had time to read over hwat you did ;)

Advertisement