Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daewoo Langus

Options
  • 04-06-2008 2:28pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here drive one of these?

i just recently bought one, and am not happy with it at all. it is really sluggish and slow on the overtaking

not sure if there is a problem with the fuel distribution or if this just the way the car is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is it a Daewoo Lanos?

what car are you comparing the power to, they are a relatively slow car, but no more so than most 1.4 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

It's a daewoo what did you expect?!?

seriously, SERIOUSLY bad cars

no problem with fuel distribution, the car is meant to be sluggish and slow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tdc wrote: »
    It's a daewoo what did you expect?!?

seriously, SERIOUSLY bad cars

no problem with fuel distribution, the car is meant to be sluggish and slow :p

no moreso than the Opels they're based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

irishbird wrote: »
    i just recently bought one, and am not happy with it at all. it is really sluggish and slow on the overtaking

What did it drive like on your test drive before you bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

They feel very cheap and they're not very well put together. The E-Tec engines used in them (aswell as all the cars in the Daewoo range) have a habit of blowing head gaskets. That said, they're a Bentley compared to the Matiz! :D

Only the Daewoo LeMans & Nexia were based on the Opel Kadett AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Opel Kadett iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Op what car did you have before this....the car might no really be designed for spirited driving (hardly class overtaking as spirited but my mother would)...maybe the target market dont consider overtaking a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Sell it ! They drink fuel, they're dead slow and they're crap cars ( i.e. made to budget ) I don't mean to slate off your car, i've had too many experiences with the things though.

I bought a 00 ( old shape ) almera and haven't looked back. It's really good on fuel ( 45MPG combined I reckon between journeys and town stuff ). For a 1.4 it's nippy enough. I've had mine 6 months and haven't had so much as one problem with it. The only thing I did was put petrol in and keep it serviced. I usually change oil, filters, plugs etc. every 10k miles, they generally don't burn a drop of oil. See where i'm going with this ? Make sure you get the one with the sport trim level, it's got nice extra's like alloys, sunroof, etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

is it a Daewoo Lanos?

what car are you comparing the power to, they are a relatively slow car, but no more so than most 1.4 cars.

i had a seat ibiza before and this just seems so slow, i never had to put my foot to floor with the ibiza and now my foot is down to the ground and i am screaming at the car "move, you bast.ard"
    plissken wrote: »
    What did it drive like on your test drive before you bought it

didnt test drive it, bought it from my brother

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Sell it ! They drink fuel, they're dead slow and they're crap cars ( i.e. made to budget ) I don't mean to slate off your car, i've had too many experiences with the things though.

I bought a 00 ( old shape ) almera and haven't looked back. It's really good on fuel ( 45MPG combined I reckon between journeys and town stuff ). For a 1.4 it's nippy enough. I've had mine 6 months and haven't had so much as one problem with it. The only thing I did was put petrol in and keep it serviced. I usually change oil, filters, plugs etc. every 10k miles, they generally don't burn a drop of oil. See where i'm going with this ? Make sure you get the one with the sport trim level, it's got nice extra's like alloys, sunroof, etc.

sounds great but i dont have money to buy another car hence the fact i have a daewoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Failing that, when was the car last serviced ?

Failing that, when was the car last serviced ?

5 weeks ago, new cam shaft, clutch, timing belt, something about the distributor, and it hooked up to one of those computer things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That one's based on the Calibra iirc.

JHMEG wrote: »
    That one's based on the Calibra iirc.

i dont really mind what it is based on tbh.

is it just a crap car or is there something wrong with the fuel distrubution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Daewoo Lanos Euro NCAP score: Two and a bit stars.

Zube wrote: »

what does that mean ?

Zube wrote: »
    That makes it better than a 3-series of the same era.
    irishbird wrote:
    what does that mean ?
    It means its safer in a crash than a BMW 3-series.

It means its safer in a crash than a BMW 3-series.

oh right cool but to be honest, its that bloody slow, i cant see it getting up any speed to get in a crash unless the BMW 3-series smashes into the back the back of it because it is going at such a snail pace:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With the extensive work it had done to it recently (camshaft, timing belt, distributor, etc) it is possible that everything was not set up / tuned quite right.

Get it checked again by whoever did the work.

peasant wrote: »
    With the extensive work it had done to it recently (camshaft, timing belt, distributor, etc) it is possible that everything was not set up / tuned quite right.

Get it checked again by whoever did the work.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

I've the same car, love it!! Everyone who's ever driven it says it's really really nice to drive. Have had it nearly 3years now and not a single problem (am jinxing myself here!).

Bought my previous car off my sister, let's just say it ended in tears. Would never buy a car off a family member ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

oh right cool but to be honest, its that bloody slow, i cant see it getting up any speed to get in a crash unless the BMW 3-series smashes into the back the back of it because it is going at such a snail pace:)

That really isn't a good thing. They really are a bloody awful car. IMO i'd get rid of it straight away get something decent even another decent 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Daewoo Lanos may indeed be safer than a 3 series, however the Daewoo came out in 98 and for a period of 6-8 months it could boast about having a higher safety rating than a 3 series, because that was the old E36 and is a 1991 design, however the 3 series was replaced in late 98 by the E46 and that is far safer than the Lanos with the then maximum 4 star EURO NCAP safety rating. The NCAP tests are also made that little bit easier for smaller cars too.

Don't let BMW bashers distract from the reality of the situation!

the Lanos is not that bad, seriously, but only as long as it's going for as cheap as chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

sell it for the love of mary.

buy a car like a primera, or an accord even. im sure you can get a loan from a credit union, 99/00 cars are going for pittance now.

daewoos will always be the last car on the road.

-along with hyundai accents

E92 wrote: »
    The Daewoo Lanos may indeed be safer than a 3 series, however the Daewoo came out in 98 and for a period of 6-8 months it could boast about having a higher safety rating than a 3 series, because that was the old E36 and is a 1991 design, however the 3 series was replaced in late 98 by the E46 and that is far safer than the Lanos with the then maximum 4 star EURO NCAP safety rating. The NCAP tests are also made that little bit easier for smaller cars too.

Don't let BMW bashers distract from the reality of the situation!
    LOL! Can't handle the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LOL! Can't handle the truth!

and you can't stay on topic :D

peasant wrote: »
    and you can't stay on topic :D
    Trying to reassure the OP that it could be worse... (the 3-series just about scraped 4 stars but not until 2001)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

FFS, the car is terrible - seriously one of the worst cars you can possibly buy. anyone who says otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about.

The OP didnt ask about what opel it was based on, the safety rating or how much safer it was compared to a 3-series. If you were given the chance to take a 98 Daewoo or 98 BMW 3-series which would you go for?

JHMEG, what are you like "can't handle the truth!" - for the love of god STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Anyone here drive one of these?

not sure if there is a problem with the fuel distribution or if this just the way the car is?

Did you actually expect to be happy with the Daewoo?

• Advertisement

tdc wrote: »
    FFS, the car is terrible - seriously one of the worst cars you can possibly buy. anyone who says otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about.

The OP didnt ask about what opel it was based on, the safety rating or how much safer it was compared to a 3-series. If you were given the chance to take a 98 Daewoo or 98 BMW 3-series which would you go for?

JHMEG, what are you like "can't handle the truth!" - for the love of god STFU
    FFS, not another one:rolleyes:

Didn't you read the OP's post? She's not thinking about a Lanos or a 3-series. She has a Lanos already, which is safer than a 3-series of the same era:p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement