Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Adapter won't pick up certain networks

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi Fellow Boardies,

I'm really at a loss with this issue i'm having on my alienware m9750 notebook. I can't seem to pick up certain wireless networks at home and work.

I've recently moved over from ireland to the UK, and I've encountered a problem that my work wireless and home wireless aren't available on either the Intel pro wireless facility or the default windows wireless facility.

Apologies I'm getting a head of myself: I'm running Windows XP Professional SP 3, i'm using a Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG with the latest drivers installed.

I've tried disabling Windows Firewall and re-searching, but I still can't find either. I had bonjour (apple zero config nonsense) installed, but removed it.

The funny thing i'm encountering is that I can pick up loads of other weaker networks but not the main one. I know that the routers aren't at fault because other windows xp wireless users have been able to find and connect to the networks in question.

The router SSIDs are also not hidden.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've also tried disabling the WZC and retrying my wireless scan?

Thanks (sorry for rant).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Chada wrote: »
    Hi Fellow Boardies,

I'm really at a loss with this issue i'm having on my alienware m9750 notebook. I can't seem to pick up certain wireless networks at home and work.

I've recently moved over from ireland to the UK, and I've encountered a problem that my work wireless and home wireless aren't available on either the Intel pro wireless facility or the default windows wireless facility.

Apologies I'm getting a head of myself: I'm running Windows XP Professional SP 3, i'm using a Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG with the latest drivers installed.

I've tried disabling Windows Firewall and re-searching, but I still can't find either. I had bonjour (apple zero config nonsense) installed, but removed it.

The funny thing i'm encountering is that I can pick up loads of other weaker networks but not the main one. I know that the routers aren't at fault because other windows xp wireless users have been able to find and connect to the networks in question.

The router SSIDs are also not hidden.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've also tried disabling the WZC and retrying my wireless scan?

Thanks (sorry for rant).

Is it an americal laptop? I remember coming across an american laptop before and It would not pick up the higher number channels. Try a different lower channel number and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Hey dub45,

No it's made in UK as far as I know! I think that's were the manufacturing is based.

I'll attempt a different channel - i've a bad feeling I've tried that before with no luck though.

Thanks for your help all the same :) - I'll report back in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Ok,

I gave it a go with no results, but I noticed in my Intel pro wireless settings under the channel selection, the following comment:

"The channel selection for an ad hoc 802.11a adapter is disabled."

Could this be the problem? I'll try and google a solution, but if anyone knows a quickfix I'd be greatly appreciative!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

It could be that either your adaptor or router are only set for one letter

ex. 802.11b 802.11g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Are the networks visible - i.e. is it a log-in failure or network not detected ?

You could check that infrastructure is preferred (though if ad-hoc is disabled I imagine that it is) and that region settings are set to Europe (channels 1-13 , IIRC) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement