Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

That's right,only in America.I was looking at another cycling forum and came across this little gem and the subsequent responses.Made me think about some of our other threads re incidents whilst cycling,this puts questions about CO2 cannisters in the happenny place,make my day and check this out. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t180561.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Just had to show you this quote,its a classic."I spring-loaded the butt of mine, and concaved the end of the barrel, which has allowed me to attach it to my bike just like a frame pump".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

funny you should mention this. several times over my trip ive been asked by locals if we carry guns with us. their always shocked and amazed that we'd go camping/cycling without one.

think it would have complicated the border crossings!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Just had to show you this quote,its a classic."I spring-loaded the butt of mine, and concaved the end of the barrel, which has allowed me to attach it to my bike just like a frame pump".

It's a great thread alright, shows the massive difference between cultures!

My fave comment is possibly "my experience of safely hunting from horseback (and on my mountain bike, using a .22 pistol on hares and rabbits)" :eek: cue image of guy in combat gear on a fixie (quieter drivetrain!) trying to sneak up on rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've no problem with the guys who seems to be riding in "wilder" areas where they may come across dangerous animals.

But the fact that they ride in suburban/urban areas and bring a gun because they think there's a high chance of being jumped by a scumbag....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I seen this link over the weekend and wondered what to do with should i start a thread all of its own but now I can put it here.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/06/02/mexico.bikers.ap/index.html?fark

I bet some of these guys wish they had a gun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

my cycling partners don't know I carry

Jesus Christ.

It's a long thread, how many pages are there until someone mentions using it on terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Jesus Christ.

It's a long thread, how many pages are there until someone mentions using it on terrorists?

I think the T word comes in on the second page :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm glad I don't have a gun strapped to my crossbar. I'd be too tempted to shoot at peds and cars in cycle lanes. :eek:

seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

PatTillmanTearOfTheEagle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

this is madness...! although in cycling through some areas of dublin, might be wise to be packin some heat...!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Monsoon26 wrote: »
    this is madness...! although in cycling through some areas of dublin, might be wise to be packin some heat...!:D
    Certainly would deter a bike thief.! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

A South African guy in the bike shop told me he always carried one when he was training in Africa.
    The weight of it bothered him a little though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

snapshot200501040902091fn.jpg

thread resurection!!!!!!!!!

and the dog would have to be called precious wouldn't it? a .357 magnum - he's obviously not a weight weenie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Can you get carbon fibre guns with titanium bullets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

niceonetom wrote: »

I've heard that as long as you state "...He also said he feared for his life..." you can get away with shooting somebody/dog! in the states. Also I wonder would it work as an excuse in Ireland: ....i feared for my life so that's why I threw my U-lock thru the back window of the car when he blocked the cycle lane.... somehow I doubt it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

72hundred wrote: »
    Also I wonder would it work as an excuse in Ireland: ....i feared for my life so that's why I threw my U-lock thru the back window of the car when he blocked the cycle lane.... somehow I doubt it!

you wont really know till you try ...

Me I carry a gloc 8mm... but then I live in Dolphins Barn. , the ozi is just for weekends these days...

Advertisement