Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT test date after expiry, can I drive?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I NCT for the car is expiring June 2008
    I got a date for the test on July 12th.
    There are no dates available in my local area before this.

Can I continue driving as I have the confirmed test date?
    or should I stop driving from July 1st?

any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Drive away!!!

You'll be fine. Its very rare to get pulled for no NCT cert and since you have one booked for 12 days after the current expiry date you'll be absolutely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Agree with ShayK1, and to add, even in the event of a finicky guard stoping you, just carry the confirmation details with you in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks lads...got the print out..kept it in the car now :-)

Good luck with the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I keep mine in the glove box and have never been asked for it. I will be getting a holder this week (new cert) but havent displayed it for the last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Is it illegal to drive without an NCT?

I thought the deal was that it was impossible to tax your car without a valid NCT (where required) and that it was illegal to drive without tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I only realised my NCT was up on my baleno since february the other day, never received anything off the NCT for a retest. Anyway ive passed through a good half dozen check points since then and never had a word said to me.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Is it illegal to drive without an NCT?

I thought the deal was that it was impossible to tax your car without a valid NCT (where required) and that it was illegal to drive without tax.

I found this on www.ncts.ie FAQ
    ncts.ie wrote:

15. How will car testing be enforced?
    Enforcement is the responsibility of the Garda Siochana. All eligible cars must display an NCT Disc on car windscreens, which will instantly identify those cars that have passed the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AudiChris wrote: »
    I thought the deal was that it was impossible to tax your car without a valid NCT
    Not for a few years now - the requirement was dropped during a strike by NCT staff, because no-one could tax their car then. The requirement was not re-introduced when the strike ended.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement