Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaks

Options
  • 04-06-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Whats the story. Is there any smoke breaks allocated to students during the exams. Cheers guys. Best of luck tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not as far as I know. U would need to be supervised, and to leave the school building, and id say the school premises too so I doubt anyone is going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, THe Exams are about 2 and a half hours long and then you will have another hour to do hat you please. (I advise getting something to eat and relaxing. Don't study because you will be wrecked from the first exam so you may as well be relaxed going into the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The idea of smoke breaks during the exams is just...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Thanks guys. It was great as we were allocated smoke breaks on the hour. In saying that we were all watched by some very small old lady, who I could have sworn fancied my mate!! She just about checked our pockets on the way back in, but i got my fag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Clearly taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Honest, theres a spare examiner for watching toliet/smokers. We were not allowed to speak of course, and it was only 5 minutes at the max.

Toilet breaks are a given, smoke breaks is downright disgraceful. Good luck getting through college expecting stuff like that.

Really ? I though College would be much more liberal?
    That was fairly strong ? I didn't want to start an argument, I'm sorry if I caused offence or anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

<sarcasm>
    Smoke breaks are perfectly normal :rolleyes:
    </sarcasm>

Also illegal, as it is a form of discrimination. i.e Smokers get a 5 min break just because they are smokers.

minty16 wrote: »
    That was fairly strong ? I didn't want to start an argument, I'm sorry if I caused offence or anything.

I'm not talking about you in particular, just the whole "Smoke break during exams" system. I can't imagine how frustrating it'd be for 30 or so people to get up and leave an exam hall, then come back after 5 minutes. Disruption or what! Surely you can go 2-3 hours without a cigarette like, and are the 5 minutes added onto the end? Doubtful. The whole thing is a joke, tbh.

• Advertisement

Is that in the constitution or something ? They were not technically smoke breaks anyway, just the 'aulone' didn't have a problem with it.
    What are you like getting all serious ? Exams should be enjoyed, and not feared. If a smoker wants to have a smoke during an exam then so be it in my opinion. It all helps the person to relax and to achieve his/her potential. A stressed student is a sorry student my dear...

pfft, my Leaving Cert is done and over with, I just don't think it's fair on the other students to have a load of people get up and disrupt them every hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Wow, smoke breaks should NOT be given. Anyone in charge who let you do that should be... well, not in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Troll tbh.

Toilet breaks you get, but only one or two at a time. Every student has to have a supervisor assigned to them and there are usually only one or two per exam centre. Unless you smoke in the bathroom which is obviously illegal and whatnot, it just doesn't happen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

If a smoker wants to have a smoke during an exam then so be it in my opinion. It all helps the person to relax and to achieve his/her potential. A stressed student is a sorry student my dear...

Hence unfair advantage being given to smokers and it is a form of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Maybe its a pitty thing on the supervisers mind , that these people are actually killing themselves

People are free to leave the exam half an hour after it starts I believe - if people are really that hard pushed for a smoke they can hand up their exam booklets and have all the time they want to smoke from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Please post here next year when you are taking your college exams to tell us what the invigilator says when you ask them for a smoke break. Please.

I don't doubt you, I'm obviously not educated on the matter and I was just giving my opinion. Jees, smokers get a real bashing on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I don't doubt you, I'm obviously not educated on the matter and I was just giving my opinion. Jees, smokers get a real bashing on here!

there shouldnt be a special break for smokers. if they do it in your exam hall its fine but they shouldnt do it everywhere. as for it being discrimination, it's not. if non smokers want a five minute break they can stop writing for five minutes, or go to the toilets for five mins or stand outside with the smokers in silence breathing in their smoke for five mins.

if i was dying for a smoke, like seriously dying for one, i'd have one in the toilets. just come out coughing and looking disgusted and say "did you know someone was smoking in there!!!!!!" and you'll never get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Hey come on they smoke, they must be cool so they deserve to get as many breaks as they want

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Yeah we had that too, one of the examiners were in the hall and there were a few of us out there at one stage. I took three toilet (smoke) breaks, why should the examiner mind, it relaxed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

wats wrong wit someone havin a smoke break if it helps them relax? there waisting there own examtime so they shuld b allowed do as they please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When I was in fifth year, I was the invigilator's assistant. A mate of mine who was doing the LC went off to the jax and asked me if I'd mind letting him step outside(there was an open door beside the toilets) for half a cigarette. I let him.
    castie wrote: »
    Smokers get a 5 min break just because they are smokers.

Where I used to work, I was one of only 2 members of staff(~20) who didn't smoke. On my last day I brought in a cigar, and asked for a break while essentially waving it under mt superviser's nose!

Advertisement