Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with dentist

Options
  • 03-06-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i hope someone can help. i need to find a dentist in cork that can do dentistry under sedation, i think its called twilight sedation. i know they won't do general anesthetic but i need to find a dentist that does iv sedation in cork. i have a phobia of the dentist and have tried to go to see really good recommended gentle dentist but i just can't do it. its not a fear of drills or anything like that, i don't want to go into it too much but i was abused as a child and strangled during it, and the feeling of being kindof pinned down in the dentists gives me flashbacks, i know i am a looser but thats the truth of my phobia. i really need help at this stage, my teeth are in awful condition, cracked and rotting, i am so ashamed. i never had a toothbrush until i was old enough to get it myself, so my teeth were half destroyed by then anyway. i am in a panic over what will the dentist think of me? please can someone recommend a dentist that does iv sedation in cork as i am desperate now and in pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I suggest that you find a dentist, any dentist, perhaps get someone you trust to recommend someone and just go and just talk to the dentist and don't get anything done on the first appointment? Even bring someone if you want.

At that appointment, ask them to just do a visual inspection (they might want to poke with a tool thats like and long metal tooth pick). That might help with the trust issue.

There are also medications that can be prescribed if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think the best thing if to try get your work done just with local anaesthetic....restorative dental work can be time consuming and needs replacement every so often...getting into the habit of sedation every time you need somethin done is inconvienent, slow and costly.

Try get a dentist that treats nervious patients, reccomendation or look at the dental phobia site that is stickied at the top of this forum.

It is nevery as bad a you think it will be and after you will be wondering what you were worried about.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 xylocaine

i'm a dentist myself and i recommend u have a check up and then the dentist will give u ur treatment options,theres no pressure to do anything-ur d boss...their ur teeth!
    after the initial check up the dentist can refer u to someone reputable who does sedation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Feebles

I can recommend new dentist here in Cork. Very experienced (15 years) and really fantastic with nervous patients ... always gets kids etc referred to him. Only new at this, so don't know if I'm allowed give details? Reply if you're interested.

Advertisement