Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc by Research Proposal Question

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I have a few topics in mind now for a research MSc. I want to know a few things first though.

One of my suggested topics is "Search Engine Optimization". I would be spending 4 yrs part time researching this area (2 yrs fulltime). Is it acceptable to do an MSc which would simply take what's out there now in this area and explain it (for want of a better phrase)?Or would I need to come up with some algorithm myself to put forward as a way of optimizing website search results in google etc.

Thanks.

GF

I ha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I reckon Search Engine Optimization itself might be a bit too simple for an MSc.

Is there a specific area of SEO you are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grungefreak1

I was afraid somebody would say that.

To be honest I'm torn trying to come up with a topic for my MSc. Any suggestions are welcome, or even some guidance on how I would come up with a good topic worthy of an MSc. Please do let me know.

GF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The best advice I can give is to draw from your own experience. What interests you? Do you work, if so have a good look around and see what can be automated. Though automation alone is not sufficient.

When I was doing my MSc, I was a team leader in a call center. We supported literally hundreds of systems, on a load of different operating systems. When something went wrong, it usually took a hell of a lot of detective work to figure out where the problem was. Writing software to do this troubleshooting wasn't enough for an MSc, so I gave it a novel twist - I used artificial intelligence techniques. I got a first class honours out of it. :D

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The best advice I can give is to draw from your own experience. What interests you? Do you work, if so have a good look around and see what can be automated.

OK Tom,

Thanks. I'll give it some thought. God, even coming up with an idea for an MSc is becoming cumbersome!

GF

Hi,

Right, I've thought about this nearly all night. I decided I have to do my MSc in something that really does interest me and something I have a prior knowledge in, I've come up with Web Development. Now I need to narrow down.

Some ideas I've had are:

Website Security.
    ECommerce Security.

Web Development for Mobile Devices - The Future of the Web.

Web Development Technologies

Any more advice for me?

GF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any more advice for me?

GF

What is your angle? By that I mean, what makes your proposal novel or unique (i.e. not done before :)).

You need to ensure you are not re-hashing another idea and re-packaging it.

Advertisement