Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Plain Sight

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭

Oh my my.. first real new show of the Summer!

And it's as mediocre and unimpressive as I'd expect from the hit-and-miss USA network.

The main character, who I only refer to as BMBB (Big Mouth Billy Bass, due to the amount of collagen in that woman's face and lips), is extremely unlikeable and wholly unconvincing.

The performances are pretty much all un-impressive and just when you think you've seen one cliché and tired scene, along come a fecking truckload. I thought it was just me until I saw a thread over on IMDb:
    Things I learned from watching 'In Plain Sight':
    -It is hot in New Mexico, so take off your jacket. Then put it on for no reason. Hey, it's hot! Take that jacket off again! Then put it on...

-In the midwest, no one in law enforcement is over 30 except one single awkward loser.

-Everyone in custody who offers to roll on his boss gets to go into the WPP instantly without ever doing any time, no matter their crime(s).

-Children of NY mobsters do not have thick NY accents, even if their parents do.

-The nicest girl in school, that no one could ever say a bad thing about, might be a racist bitch.

-If your girlfriend gets a tattoo like yours and she dies, the only logical conclusion is that you killed her.

-Lilly white bimbos in their 20s who are afraid of the "ghetto" might also be master car thieves and keep large suitcases full of coke in their bedroom and take a hit when their US Marshall sister leaves the room. And she takes a hit, not by having a small stash set aside, but by cutting open the middle of a large undivided kilo bag, right in the middle of it.

-Guys LOVE a sarcastic blonde
    I'd say it was pitched to a TV exec as being a fish.. i mean woman.. in her mid 30's - sorta sassy 'Veronica Mars' but with more sass. And boy, is she mean? And sarcastic... did I mention she was sassy? This fish is sassier than a sassy filled sass sack on sass day!

Oh, die already 'In Plain Sight' and take that carp with you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wow, sounds great. All the sassiness makes me want to watch it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They dumped The 4400 for this.... U-S-A! U-S-A!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I give it 2 trouts outta 5!

1191856052330_10InPlainSight_mif.jpg_121_87.jpg1191856052330_10InPlainSight_mif.jpg_121_87.jpg/ Trout_knob121.jpgTrout_knob121.jpgTrout_knob121.jpg

Not that I didn't believe you Squill, but I had to see just how bad it was for myself. Almost switched it off at the 30 minute mark, but hung on till about 45 and then just had to end it. I don't care what happened next. It was total and utter drivel. That whole jacket on and off thing really did get annoying too.

As Mr E rightly pointed out, they dropped The 4400 and replaced it with this? Go USA! Now officially worse than Fox.

Avoid this, like the cliché that it is.

You lucky bastard.. you ended it at 45 minutes. I sat through the entire 85 minute duration.. although it seemed more like 4 hours.

Aaah.. terrible!

• Advertisement

I want the 4400 back, not In Plain Sight which I lasted all of 20 minutes into before turning off and watching more of Numb3rs on DVD again.

I can't believe how many people on the TV.com and imdb forums thought this was great! There's a load of idiots going on about how funny Mary is, and how sexy and smart the whole show is :rolleyes: Bloody idiots. This is why decent programming (Jericho, Drive, Invasion, Firefly, etc) never makes it: There are too many gobshites out there who lap up this drivel.

Not just that.. but the pilot got USA Networks 5.3 million viewers - the most viewers it's gotten for a pilot since 'The 4400' back in 2004!

:eek: :mad:

Watch it drop by at least a million next week.
    People are starved for good new shows, and this isn't one of them.

Mr E wrote: »
    People are starved for good new shows, and this isn't one of them.
    And doesn't look things are gonna change fast!

Two new shows this week - 'Swingtown' and 'Fear Itself' - have both recieved lukewarm reviews from critics!

:(

• Advertisement

So after a Winter of fcuk all due to the strike, we now get a Summer of fcuk all due to, em, what exactly I don't know, but it's not looking too good anyway.

Another thing that bothered me about this was the bad language, or rather lack thereof. What kind of cop says "BS" when they actually mean bullshit? And who tells anyone to "F off"? Was this thing made for broadcast at 7PM or what? Most unrealistic show EVAR!!!!!11!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

haven't seen the show and I don't intend to but i just wanted to add that I *love* sarcastic blonde women

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I guess I'm the only one :(

I like Mary McCormack, but the reviews on this thread haven't exactly persuaded me to grab this. :)

Any improvement in Episode 2? Anyone? Anyone?
    Echo... echo.... echo... echo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I watched it and I like Mary Mc Cormack too. It wasn't as horrible as I was led to believe. Granted it was a little shaky and not perfect with a few plot holes but hell, it wasnt horrible. I'll give it a chance and keep watching.

Okeydokey... I'll give sassy woman a shot so.
    (Wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with basquille) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Okay Episode 2 wasn't great either.
    The mother character and sister character are just plain annoying. Although the guy with the eye patch was funny! ;)

Overall...meh. Still not horrible enough to make me wanna disown it but I wont be hankering for it either. If I catch ep3, I'll get it.

Episode 3 is supposed to be a big improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

04:05RTE 2 28/08/08

In Plain Sight

Drama series about a Deputy US Marshal working on a secretive federal witness protection programme in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Nice one, JP Liz.
    Its a solid enough show - definitely watchable (made even more bearable by Mary McCormack).

Finished in the States last week (12 episodes).

• Advertisement

You actually stuck with it Dave? Is it really worth watching?

Nah, stopped about episode 7. It was solid enough up to that point. :D
    Heading off on hols next week, so I might take the rest with me....

Season 2 starts Sunday 19th April

USA Network has reportedly renewed In Plain Sight for a third season.
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, the series, starring Mary McCormack and Fred Weller, has been picked up for 16 new episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oscar, Emmy and Grammy winner Rita Moreno (“Cane,” “The Guardian”) and 4-time Emmy winner Allison Janney (“The West Wing,” “Juno”) guest star in season 3 in the USA Network hit original series, IN PLAIN SIGHT, starring Mary McCormack, returning on its new night — Wednesday, March 31 at 10/9c. Critically acclaimed actors Steven Weber (“Wings,” “Studio 60”), Tess Harper (“No Country for Old Men,” “Breaking Bad”) and Josh Cooke (“Committed,” “Four Kings”) have also been cast to guest star.
    Moreno guests as Raph’s (Cristian de la Fuente) Aunt Rita who takes the town by storm, helping Mary and Raph plan their wedding. Janney guest stars as a newly-appointed US Marshal for the district who butts heads with Mary (McCormack). Weber stars in two episodes as a brilliant and charming FBI agent who has different point of view on the handling of federal witnesses. Harper will appear as a take-no-prisoners Federal Prosecutor who thinks a win in court is the most important thing — despite the personal costs to a witness. And Cooke plays in the role of the very first witness of Mary and Marshall’s (Frederick Weller) first case together.
    On another creative front, two-time Grammy winner Liz Phair (“90210,” “Swingtown”) brings a whole new artistic element to an already strong creative team as the hit show’s music composer. The singer/songwriter’s debut album, Exile in Guyville, was enthusiastically praised upon its 1993 release. Phair went on to release multiple award-winning albums including whitechocolatespaceegg, Whip-smart and the self-titled Liz Phair.
    As previously announced, showrunner John McNamara (“The Fugitive,” “Eyes”) has joined the show this year as writer/executive producer, helping to elevate the narrative drive, the production value and the production design. IN PLAIN SIGHT is shot entirely on location in and around Albuquerque, NM.

Its back on March 31 on USA Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i caught this on rte 2 late last night it was ok but the mother is annoying

whats the shows backstory? is it worth watching again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Season 4 kicked off tonight.

Show returns tonight for season 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement