Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD capabilities as ambulance crews

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

I’m just wondering as to the capabilities of the civil defence to provide ambulance services, i know they have ambulances but my understanding of their role is that of SAR and fire. Are they a serious provider of ambulance cover.

The ambulances what level are they at, what equipment do they carry, is it basic or more, what i’d term standard. Would they all have Defibs, doctors kits, Entonox etc.

What level are their crews at, EFR or are they crewed by basics or more advanced? Are they big enough to provide multi ambulance cover for a sustained period, say Dublin Wicklow area for 10-15 days?

Reason i ask is i was having a conversation with a fella, who was saying how they cover all the big events because other Vols have not got the resources, I had been working under the assumption that OMAC and Red Cross were much larger and putting SJA then above CD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Depends what you mean by big events. OMAC and SJA cover all major events I've ever seen or been at in Dublin. And they have the resources. To be honest I've only ever seen CD at the St. Paddys day parade, but every other vol is there aswell.

Your friends comments about other vols not having the resources is completely false.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

That depends on the location of the event & the nature of the event.

In Dublin, SJA covers approx 75% of all major outdoor events ranging from soccer to concerts. Some of the larger concerts (Croke Park) are a joint effort with OMAC.

Outside the pale, OMAC / IRC would cover major events.

Down the peoples republic area, SJA would cover a reasonable amount of events.

Therefore I would say that your friend is blagging and full of BS :o

Advertisement