Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop down to OL Engrish?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I got a C1 in the mocks with no study at all, though I feel like it may have been a slight fluke.
    I'm a C1 student, I mostly score a C1 average on any essays we do but I hate it so much. My writing "flows well" - Ms. Bradshaw, so it's more lack of material that'll set me back.
    I haven't studied it once again because I dread the thought of writing out pages and pages of essays (I'm more maths orientated), today I studied theorems.

Anyway my question, should I drop down to pass or should I stick to HL and hopefully get a C3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Its English ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Never drop down with so little time to go, do your best, thats all you can do.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Whatever chance you have on HL, you'd be lost with OL.. It's a totally different selection of poetry and texts afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Key-Connors

furey?
    anyway dont drop down youve studied the higher level course for two years and unless you know the layout of the ol paper id say you could end up doing worse on a pass paper than you would on the higher paper. good luck tomorrow btw

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

muffinman wrote: »
    Whatever chance you have on HL, you'd be lost with OL.. It's a totally different selection of poetry and texts afaik

Exact same texts and the poems are written on the paper. I dropped a while ago, best decision ever wasted no time this week learning off essays and poets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Don't. You need to know Othello in way more depth apparently. Could be wrong tho but thats what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Its more likely you will get C in english than an A in ordinary.
    you will regret it .Just keep at it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I'd stick with it if i were you. I mean you'll probably do better than you expect and it wud b easier to get a C in Higher than an A in ordinary... Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NO.

dropping down now will seriously mess you up at this late stage.
    been there and done that. The differences between O and H are big enough to matter.

Get a C1 in honors, its better than an A1 in Ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

furey?
    anyway dont drop down youve studied the higher level course for two years and unless you know the layout of the ol paper id say you could end up doing worse on a pass paper than you would on the higher paper. good luck tomorrow btw

F'sho thanks, I think I'll just do it, after Engrish I'll be stress free for the Leavin! :D

Furey is right, do I know you? :cool:

Why do people do this?

"I'm a C student, blah blah blah, should I drop to pass?"

WHY WOULD YOU?

If you're a C student, the most you can get in pass is equivelant to a C in honours anyway.. so why bother? :confused:

• Advertisement

Fluked the mocks, been a C student in class, haven't studied a thing in English since January, and haven't handed up much work since either. That's why.

Now enough of this madness, I got me sum end of year tests in 9 hours.

ahh.. who, loike, cares.

I am loike so over, these, loike omg.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

A C is an honour of 60 to 70 points....would you rather get maybe a B1 ordinary level(45) or even an A2 (50)!?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

so did you do higher? how did you do? please do say you wrote down "Engrish Paper 1"

Peleus wrote: »
    so did you do higher? how did you do? please do say you wrote down "Engrish Paper 1"

Haha if only I had the balls! :D
    I stuck with Higher nd I was delighted with myself walkin out. My personal essay on what it is to be happy was unreal! It accidentally just flowed into itself, I'd make a point nd later, completely unintentionally I'd come back to it.
    I always struggled writing extensive amounts for the composing section but I easily got in 5 pages, not sure if that's enough but it was good for me :cool:

Advertisement