Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1???

Options
  • 03-06-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I know it's really late to be asking but could some 1 PLEASE give me a hand with the comprehensions?I havent a clue how to approach a question and our teacher has never gone through it with us!please....thanks!:(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lorlo

always underline the first sentence in every paragraph. this is the 'topic sentence' and usually is a really good indicator of what's to come. read the questions first ,then the comp underlining bits and pieces you think could be useful in answering, then the questions again and pick out relevant pieces!

use the SEE method

1)STATEMENT... i get the impression that blah blah is blah blah
    2)EXAMPLE... use a quote/reference
    3)EXPLANATION.. basically just back up what you're saying

3 clearcut points using SEE is usually perfect

for questions like what 'impressions' think adjectives
    if they ask a language question which is hotly tipped this year try to identify the technique used... persuasive/informative/autobiographical etc and identify the features used in that technique. like use of personal pronouns, anecdotes, repitition, dramatic statements, statistics, sarcasm, sense of personal experience is conveyed etc...

always pick you question (b) first! and pick the remaining question(a) by process of elimination!

try to avoid the questions on the picture comp as well, they're the hardest to answer well!

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Read it well, then just find devices used in the text and give 3 examples for each device. Eg:

"In the first paragraph of this passage, the author uses inclusion to convince the reader that they should take action by incuding him or her in the argument, examples of this are "We need to make a change", "It is all up to us." and "Together we can do it."

So like thats 1 device, inclusion. Look for other obvious devices like lists, triadic structure (lists in 3's eg. "I like tea, coffee and juice."), Rhetorical questions, epigrams (famous sayings "ask not what your country can do for you..."), anicdotes (personal stories) etc etc.

Oh and above all, good luck. If you make a good start the creative juices can flow. Be sure to properly read EVERY question.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Spend 40 minutes at it, leaving 5 minutes to read over it a few of times.

Read the questions first then go through the text looking out for the key words from the question. Look at question again and read again and highlight/underline what you might use as an answer.

When answering make a point with what you have underlined, quote it and then back it up with a statement showing you understand your answer to the question asked.

If a question is 20 marks, have 5 points per answer, 5 lines long.
    If a question is 15 marks, 4 points per answer, 5 lines long.

Hope that helps, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

:):):):):):)
    THANKS!!!That really helped
    Best of luck to ye all!!

Advertisement