Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Essay and Short Story

Options
  • 03-06-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Whats the difference?
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From what I understand, a personal essay would be like a personal response to a statement or something along those lines. A short story would have a plot, characters, narroration etc

Though I'm open to correction

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Personal Essay: I like tea

Short Story: There once was a man who liked tea

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

so you cant have characters and that in an essay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

gaz d wrote: »
    so you cant have characters and that in an essay?

no you can't
    but then again if you don't know what a personal essay is i'd be doubting your ability to do higher level :\

No I got a C1 in the mock. Our teacher did a lot on the single text, poetry and comparitive but not very much on paper 1.

• Advertisement

No I got a C1 in the mock. Our teacher did a lot on the single text, poetry and comparitive but not very much on paper 1.

still i think it'd be common knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Papercut

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    still i think it'd be common knowledge

Ya I agree.....I just write what comes to my head in Paper one...and I always come up with something good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Ignore KeyLimePie, unfortunatley we are not all perfect like he obviously is. We all make mistakes..even simple ones..I remember doing an exam once and I forgot how to spell "the", took me five minutes to come to my senses.

KeyLimePie, you doin the Leaving Cert this yr?

BJC wrote: »
    Ignore KeyLimePie, unfortunatley we are not all perfect like he obviously is. We all make mistakes..even simple ones..I remember doing an exam once and I forgot how to spell "the", took me five minutes to come to my senses.

That wasn't a mistake:)
    After 5 years of english and not knowing that?! something's wrong

and yes I am

• Advertisement

Hmmm...and your from Maghealla.....I think I might know you.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

I'm pretty sure you can write a story for a personal essay, as long as it's 'personal'.
    For example, in the mocks, one of the questions was:

"Dizzy with success..."
    Write a personal essay on what success means to you.

I know several people who wrote fictional stories, but with themselves as the main character as such, and got A1's. I, on the other hand, attempted a personal essay and was pretty much told my opinion was wrong, but there you go. :eek: :o

And I'm sure you're still perfectly capable of higher level, despite what others might 'doubt'.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    After 5 years of english and not knowing that?! something's wrong

Him getting a C1 in the mocks proves you wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lorlo

i'd stay away from the short story unless you're really good at developing characters and themes and setting very well, examiners usually hate boring old anecdotes about the time you went to the beach and had a lovely day so try and make it interesting and original if you go that route!!

and never ever ever ever ever end with 'and then i woke up....' they hate that!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

lorlo wrote: »
    i'd stay away from the short story unless you're really good at developing characters and themes and setting very well
    I'd agree, and having to think of a plot, intro, climax and conclusion in that amount of time? No thanks, personal essay or article for me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

lorlo wrote: »
    and never ever ever ever ever end with 'and then i woke up....' they hate that!

uh oh better make some last minute changes to my short story...

how bout this:

"and then I woke up... or did I? leave him with something to think about... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lorlo

hahah!!:D

i actually can't believe it's tomorrow...

here's hoping for divine inspiration!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

BJC wrote: »

That's hilarious, reminds me of the family guy scene where Peter forgets how to sit down. I've had moments like that too, where you just forget how a basic word is spelt. I'm seriously curious as to what went through your head though, please do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We hadn't done what a personal essay is until... just around the mocks. In fact we sort of ignored paper 1.

I forgot how to spell "sure" once. Kept writing "shure" and looking at it, and wondering what was wrong, and trying again, and doing the same thing. Terribly shameful. And I'm sure everyone's done the thing where they leave out vital words in a sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

We hadn't done what a personal essay is until... just around the mocks. In fact we sort of ignored paper 1.

I forgot how to spell "sure" once. Kept writing "shure" and looking at it, and wondering what was wrong, and trying again, and doing the same thing. Terribly shameful. And I'm sure everyone's done the thing where they leave out vital words in a sentence.

Haha, the exact same thing happened to me once. Thank God it was only on MSN though but it was frightening. :(

Yep, there's been times when I know what I want to write, look over the sentence to make sure it's correct and leave out a noun or verb.

• Advertisement

Whats the difference?
    :confused:
    yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.giflaugh.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Did the short story on the 17 year old. Just over 4 pages long, developed 4 characters and had a good beginning, a bit of a waffle along middle and a savage ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

PERSONAL ESSAY=
    your point of view on a subject eg. 'i personally believe modern teenage culture is dominate by media'

SHORT STORY=
    Tell a made-up story about a character(d)
    eg 'once upon a time there was a man named Zero. Ladies fell at his feet, and villians quivered at his name'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

Did short story about the location (choose Central Park but my story wasn't centred THAT much around the location - just the fact that the lovers met there and blah blah)
    The ending was that the main character (I spoke in first person) was leaving their family for a woman..... and it turned out that it was the mother in the family :D Thought it would be an interesting twist. LOL
    And the last line was something like.
    "A new home. A new life. A new identity." Talk about sappy :cool:

Advertisement