Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Higher Level

Options
  • 03-06-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Though I've always done a bit physics every third day or so for the last 4 months, I haven't done much in the last three weeks,mainly because it's my last exam and I've a whole Friday afternoon/Saturday/Sunday to study for it, so I will be grand. I'm doing everything on the course except the electricity long questions (I've covered the formula's for the 10 short questions).
    So what experiments are likely?
    What's being touted for the sound and light section,+ mechanics
    Which aspects of the modern physics + particle physics are being highlighted by teachers for this year.

"Physics is Real" Pat Hurley Vice President of the AISTI

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Modern physics I'd expect something on the electron such as x-rays or photo electric effect

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

For Section A don't bother studying what came up last year or stuff that has come up twice. F=ma and Boyle's Law are two most likely for Q1. I also think a sound experiment will come up and for electricity one of the variation for resitance exp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lorlo

what are your thoughts on leavin the option out altogether? i can't decide whether it's worth the hassle! we're doing the particle physics option which i could learn in about 2 hours if i really needed to but jw if people think it's worth it?:confused: i know people who got A1s from just leaving it out.

lorlo wrote: »
    what are your thoughts on leavin the option out altogether? i can't decide whether it's worth the hassle! we're doing the particle physics option which i could learn in about 2 hours if i really needed to but jw if people think it's worth it?:confused: i know people who got A1s from just leaving it out.
    Depends how you feel about it really. One advantage is that it is a guaranteed question so if you are stuck for time re study definitely go for it. If you think you are comfortable on other questions and would do better do that. Just look at the past paper questions from the option and see how you find them.

cheers!:cool: i suppose i might as well do it as backup now i think of it... i've the friday, saturday and sunday to go over it so i could def set it aside!

i'm ok on pretty much everything, just loads of sharpening up to do!!

• Advertisement

experiment wise:

a is proportional to f
    f is proportional to square root of t..... for almost def!

that's what my teacher's saying and he's usually pretty accurate!

experiment wise:

a is proportional to f
    f is proportional to square root of t..... for almost def!

that's what my teacher's saying and he's usually pretty accurate!
    a is proportional to f is a bit easy, that's why I don't think it will come up. I'll definitely go over it though as it's simple.

F is proportional to l might come up to- one of those two anyway imo.

a is prop to f has never been up! and most people will plot the graph wrong so it could be a runner!

yeh im def going through all the sound ones!

latent heat of fusion could def be worth looking out for too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

F is proportional to l might come up to- one of those two anyway imo.

Inversely proportional, no?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

what are your thoughts on leavin the option out altogether?
    Wouldn't dream of it personally, gonna be one of my strongest questions

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement