Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows vista -- down grade to win Xp

Options
  • 03-06-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My friend as vista on her PC.. and it's wrecking her head... she asked me to get her XP and i have it... I'm going to be down-grading the PC tonight..

Should there be anything i should be watching out for?

Will it work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is her pc capable of running windows vista ultimate? Maybe it's an upgrade she needs not a downgrade:confused:

Vista basic is a pile of ****e...ultimate is the best OS i've used excluding macs....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

it cant even run vista... the people that Make vista machine should be shot for the amount of RAM they put in...

The thing is SOOOOOO slow ,cos of vista..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,721 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sounds like another victim of the large vista capable scandal: in short, Intel Microsoft and a few manufacturers got together and colluded to lower the standards required to label a computer Vista Capable in order to sell more machines, when in fact they were not capable of running it very well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you 100% sure it's not the Anti Virus tipping it over the edge, i've seen norton and mcafee kill computer performance.....might be worth uninstalling them first.....can make a huge difference

Are you 100% sure it's not the Anti Virus tipping it over the edge, i've seen norton and mcafee kill computer performance.....might be worth uninstalling them first.....can make a huge difference

I know this problem.. and it's not that .. I've checked..

thanks anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well once you have all drivers available for the machine and tweak around in the bios for SATA settings then it should work ok, you can also slip stream the intel sata drivers into a xp disc if you use n lite... Make sure you have vistas partition or a restore disc just incase the downgrade doesnt work...

Nick

just tried this and when i put the Win Xp cd in,,, it wont let me select "Install Windows XP", i tried the Disk in my own drive at home and it would let me,

Is Vista stopping the install ?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Have you set the bios to boot from CD/DVD drive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

NeVeR wrote: »
    just tried this and when i put the Win Xp cd in,,, it wont let me select "Install Windows XP", i tried the Disk in my own drive at home and it would let me,

Is Vista stopping the install ?
    Some machines require you tap a key to open a boot off menu i.e a [F12] key on a dell machine, keep tapping this key if no boot off sequence option in the bios and boot off the cd drive, vista wont affect booting off a cd...

Nick

Advertisement