Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canaries Fighting

Options
  • 03-06-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi, I have a slight problem with a pair of canaries I have. First off, I had a male for some time now and decided to try an breed, so I got a female recently, however Since I introduced her to the male they have been fighting with each other.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with canary breeding and if so would they know if this is normal, and what are the reasons it? I suppose it could be that there just not matched.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not familiar with canaries, but have other birds. Could be a number of reasons, at a guess perhaps the cage is too small, or they weren't introduced on neutral territory so could have started off on the wrong foot.

Until you figure out what the reason is for them fighting keep them seperate in case they injure each other.

Don't know about canary hens but some female bird species can get aggressive and territorial. Figure out who has caused the fighting there's usually one that starts it.

Would advise against breeding until a bit more research is done on your part (no offence) so that you can be more equipt to deal with other issues that will come up when you do breed them e.g. ensuring the babies find responsible homes if not keeping them, canary behaviour and body language etc. A good forum to visit for more helpful info is tailfeathers..great site.

Advertisement