Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School holidays coming AAAGHHH!So....

Options
  • 03-06-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

....looking for places that I can bring the kids on outings etc. So all of you with local knowledge please let me know anywhere local?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

What age are they??

Glen Barrow is nice for picnics, paddling in the river etc. Its up in the Slieve Blooms, beautiful place, bout half an hour drive away form Port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

ya could go to the rock of dunamaise in stradbally or clonmacnoise in offaly, and up around the slieve blooms is lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I like Emo House too ~ get them to take bikes or whatever and they can run themselves silly! What about the Derryounce Walkway? Not sure if that's good or not...?

yeah thats not bad to but it brings you out to hte lake mentioned in another tread by roaster

• Subscribers Posts: 41,411 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

all the above are great places for picnics.... glenbarrow has the added advantage of having water!! Dunamaise is excellent....

If you want to travel a bit further for water, but not as far as the beach.. then Lough Ennell, near Mullingar is good.....

Closer to home, for a nice walk, is the National Stud in Kildare.. it has fantastic gardens.. including a japenese garden...

For something a little different, the Dunmore caves near Kilkenny might be worth a trip, try to find out what times tours are going down though....

then theres always the Rock of cashel for a nice day out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

:eek::eek::eek: I just Googled the Derryounce Walkway and the first two sites are swing4Ireland and mention this as one of the top dogging places in Laois :eek::eek::eek:

Maybe not what Roaster was looking for for his doggies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

:eek::eek::eek: I just Googled the Derryounce Walkway and the first two sites are swing4Ireland and mention this as one of the top dogging places in Laois :eek::eek::eek:

Ha, probably not!:D

Then again.......:eek:

kidding!

feck thats a good one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

undecided wrote: »
    ....looking for places that I can bring the kids on outings etc. So all of you with local knowledge please let me know anywhere local?

Thanks

a bit out of the way but the lakes up in westmeath called lillyput and loch ennil are fantastic. you have the slieve bloom mountain walks which are great and the cat holes is brilliant for a swim. catsletown is great for swimming too, or if you want to take the kids fishing for a day you can take them to stradbally trout lake. its a tenner for 4 hours but they will catch some nice big trout so they will enjoy it!

also i think its near edenderry, the far side i think there is a fantastic museum of the bog of allen and its reasonable with a great tour for the kids. they might be interested in it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

LOL

Was just checking out that website, loads of places listed. Portarlington GAA listed also

http://www.swing4ireland.com/dogging-locations.html?countyname=laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Think Ill give it a miss thanks lol

Thanks guys keep the ideas coming have 2 months to fill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SJ08

hi undecided,

lullymore heritage park is only 20 mins from port. its excellent day out for kids, lots to do so go early and make a day of it. better to go on a fine day do as alot of it is outdoors and bring a picnic.
    stevoman was talking about peatland world its 5 mins from lullymore heritage park its ok but you prob only spend a hour max in it, and if kids are young they would bored after 5 mins. peatland world is only really used by the local schools as a day out. if you need directions to lullymore let me no. im sure they have a website if you wanted to look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SJ08

also undecided, there's a new farm and play area in port not sure of the name or where it is but there's posters around the town about it. There is a new indoor play area and a bowling alley in toghers business park in kildare its about 40 mins from port down the M7.

SJ08 wrote: »
    also undecided, there's a new farm and play area in port not sure of the name or where it is but there's posters around the town about it. There is a new indoor play area and a bowling alley in toghers business park in kildare its about 40 mins from port down the M7.

Thats probably the new petting farm out in Annamoe, just beyond the Garryhinch Golf Course... havent been there myself but its supposed to be ok.....

Like the sounds of the pet farm might give it a try first! My little fella loves animals (Zoo cost a fortune now so dont go as much as we used to)

Lullymore sounds cool too type of place where theyd be entertained all day(exactly what I like it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Portlaoise Pet Farm.
    I dont know if this one is the same as the one mentioned above but theres a new pet farm in Raheen near Abbeyleix. Brought the kids on Sunday and it was really good. Lots of animals including a python, gophers and tamarin monkeys, as well as the pig, chickens and horses etc. Also had a nice play area with a huge secure sand pit and lots of swings and slides as well. Theres a small shop with indoor and outdoor seats. My two had a ball and spent about three hours there with no whinging to leave, a record!:rolleyes:

There also athe Castlecomer Discovery Park which is ok for an afternoon but can get a bit crowded on the weekends in the play area. http://www.discoverypark.ie/
    My two are 12 and 2 and both seem to enjoy it.
    :)

whereabouts is that in raheen, paperclip???

anywhere near glanbia?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thats probably the new petting farm out in Annamoe, just beyond the Garryhinch Golf Course... havent been there myself but its supposed to be ok.....

Undecided
    There are leaflets available from the counter at the Maxol station for this place in Annanoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

whereabouts is that in raheen, paperclip???

anywhere near glanbia?

God I really should check in here more often! Sorry for the delay! :o

To get to the pet farm in Raheen go right into the village, if you are coming from the Abbeyleix direction head past the church. Just before the community centre (at least I think thats what it is) you turn right and drive for about 2 miles down a back road, (grass in the middle, one car only) The pet farm is on the right had side and theres pretty good car parking round it. Come to think of it its pretty well signposted from the village so its kinda hard to miss.

You can turn off the main road and go down past Glanbia and into Raheen if you're coming from the south. If you do go hope you enjoy it!

It's sign posted from main Portlaoise - Abbeyleix road also.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    Undecided
    There are leaflets available from the counter at the Maxol station for this place in Annanoe.

picked one up the other day thanks kikel

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Is this gone? Went up two weekends ago to get my usual two 15kgs of dog food and it was all locked up and no signs of life.

Any update would be appreciated? Bought the dog food somewhere else (in an emergency) and it was a whopping €5 more expensive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

ye its closed unfortunatly you may try somewhere else for doggie food:rolleyes:

Advertisement