Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get a cat into a pet carrier

Options
  • 03-06-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone suggest how to get a cat into a cat carrier. I am trying to get my cat into one to bring him to the vet, and he is having none of it, and goes absolutely beserk, ending in him running up the chimney to get away.
    Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

put some food in there, or wait til its asleep, and get it in before it knows whats goin on

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

nerak wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest how to get a cat into a cat carrier. I am trying to get my cat into one to bring him to the vet, and he is having none of it, and goes absolutely beserk, ending in him running up the chimney to get away.
    Any tips?

My brother had the same problem and he got a pill from the vet which he put into the cat's food about an hour before he had to go, it worked really well, it didn't knock the cat out put calmed her down so it was easy to put her into the box.
    I can't remembet the name of the pill but just ask the Vet and I'm sure there will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

No need for sedatives or the like, put the carrier on its side (ie. with the door facing towards the ceiling) and get someone to hold it. pick up the cat and lower him/her into it, putting its bottom in first. then simply close the door and slowly turn the carrier and place it on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Mod edit: Not on this board, try humour next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

lorna100 wrote: »
    No need for sedatives or the like, put the carrier on its side (ie. with the door facing towards the ceiling) and get someone to hold it. pick up the cat and lower him/her into it, putting its bottom in first. then simply close the door and slowly turn the carrier and place it on the ground.

that tends to work well. If you just pick them up and carry them to where it is without letting them see it (prior preperation required) there is little fuss. Make sure they go in backwards so they can't see where they're off to :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

they dont like either being put into a carrier if its on the ground so try putting it on a table or something, this works with my cat and he goes in no problems, worth a shot if you havent tried it before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I always use that lowering-in method. Pick up the pusscat and pet and stroke and scratch under chin extensively, and then fairly swiftly but calmly, slide him back feet first into the cage as it's upended with the door open on top, and just shut the door on him.

Then drop a couple of treats in. My cat is completely addicted to Vitakat salmon treats from Aldi, 79c for three sticks.

You may need to try a different type of cage, too. My cats have all liked an arched wire cage that they can see out of; it has a slide-out tray that slides out onto the door after you fold he door down.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I have a carrier that opens at the front and not like the cage ones that open on top, he always goes in ok for me, he mite give me a run around though first but always goes in ok in the end and seems to like car journeys!!!! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

You could try covering his head with an old jumper so he dosen't know where he's going and then pop him in.

When they see that they are being put into a box they are afraid and kick and claw at the edges.

Advertisement