Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English

Options
  • 03-06-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

How much should you write for 50 marks i.e. Poetry and then 1000 marks i.e. essay then 70 marks comparitive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

As much as it takes

But as a very roung guide, about a page for every 10 marks. But I don't think you'll be expected to write a 10 page article

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

You should be going for time more than how much..
    For paper 1
    Reading Selecting Sections 5-10mins
    Question A 55 mins
    Question B 35mins
    Composition 1 Hour+10 mins
    Paper 2
    Single Text- 55mins
    Comparative 65 mins
    Poetry 65 mins

This should be in your papers,where i got it from anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I was always told about 3-4 pages for a 70 mark question.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

im doing about 3/3.5 pages for poetry Q
    then 4 pages for Comp
    and 3.5/4 for Single.

its quality more than quantity, think about what you're gonna write before you do and don't waffle too much, then 3 pages can be better than 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rugrat1

does any1 know what this means in Bolands poetry ''a landscape in which you know you are mortal'' ??

• Advertisement

rugrat1 wrote: »
    does any1 know what this means in Bolands poetry ''a landscape in which you know you are mortal'' ??

ye i dunno. its something to do with the deaths in the fields, the darkness of which is only reaching her now. I think she means you know you are mortal from seeing all these deaths and killings that have happend in ireland.

i just talk about the mataphor of the stars in that poem, and how she compares the ousiders in history to the faraway stars. don't need to mention that line, not vital imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I think the essays should be about 4-6 pages.
    I think the Part B's should be about 2 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Go by time. Know how much time you can allocate to each section and write as much as you can in that time. And like someone said above, 3 pages of quality, planned work is better than five pages of unstructured waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I was told for 15mark question that 3/4 page is ok. What do you's think?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

thatone! wrote: »
    I was told for 15mark question that 3/4 page is ok. What do you's think?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? thats 10 pages for section a and 10 pages for section b and about 18 pages for your essay!!!! good luck with that. just write as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Peleus wrote: »
    ARE YOU SERIOUS? thats 10 pages for section a and 10 pages for section b and about 18 pages for your essay!!!! good luck with that. just write as much as you can.

I'm sure he means 'three quarters' and not 'three or four'.

I'm sure he means 'three quarters' and not 'three or four'.
    god i'm an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

Lol!

I would say 3/4 of a page is fine for 15 marks, but it really is all about timing, and quality. ;)

Advertisement