Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud Neighbours kids

Options
  • 03-06-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Moved into a nice housing estate four months ago.

Neighbours are nice and friendly.

Next door has two girls 6-8 yrs old and a baby and they Non Nationals.

They know other Non Nationals on the road and their kids all play together in next doors back garden.

I am glad they re off the street and being supervised majority of the time and they are well behaved but the noise from them is something else, shouting screaming etc all day.

There over the weekend, duck whistles came out and I was fit to be tied yesterday afternoon. Couldnt enjoy having dinner out in the back garden etc with the noise.

I mean kids will be kids thats grand, but the whole week from say 10am till 10pm.

Is it just the luck of the draw or what. I suppose if we need to do work or that, it should be ok to put up the volume a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I know its illegal to honk ur horn unneccessarily between certain hours,surl its the same thing(noise pollution)
    council matter I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah, we had the same problem over the weekend - there were kids screaming all afternoon in a house 3 doors down, plus kids in the house on the other side of us. It was very annoying!

I think it's one of those things you'll have to put up with - kids scream, and they scream a lot when they're outside playing. That's the downside of living in a housing estate .... hey look on the bright side, at least you HAVE a garden :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

10am to 10pm are reasonable hours though and I don’t think there is anything you can do

Good points are you can have a barbeque or house party they can’t exactly complain and make things difficult for you.
    In fact, make sure you have a barbeque

People who work night shifts hate summer holidays as kids are around, FACT.
    Can’t leave the window closed due to heat and can’t open the window due to screaming kids :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kluivert wrote: »

Next door has two girls 6-8 yrs old and a baby and they Non Nationals.

They know other Non Nationals on the road and their kids all play together in next doors back garden.

What ?? Someone stole their nationality and now they don't have one ??? :rolleyes:

If you mean foreign-nationals then why does this have to come into the equation ??

I think all kids make noise , be they Irish or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

KTRIC wrote: »
    What ?? Someone stole their nationality and now they don't have one ??? :rolleyes:

That’s the term that government uses and it’s certainly used by RTE on news reports so it's been picked up by lots of people.
    But yes, it doesn’t realy matter in the case where they are from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

micmclo wrote: »
    10am to 10pm are reasonable hours though and I don’t think there is anything you can do

Good points are you can have a barbeque or house party they can’t exactly complain and make things difficult for you.
    In fact, make sure you have a barbeque

Can’t leave the window closed due to heat and can’t open the window due to screaming kids :mad:

This is exactly it!

If you worked nights, you couldnt sleep during the day.

You hit the nial on the head, when it come to BBQ time they cant give out about and I plan to have a few of them if the weather keeps up like this.

Non Nationals - its not an issue, but its like little Poland next door :D, the kids are great though, they speak fluent English and Polish which I think is great ability to have. What am saying is that all the polish kids on the estate play in this one back garden, thats why I made reference to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

Non Nationals - its not an issue

Then why did you mention it?

Personally (and with a name like Brendan I must be Irish), I find the term non-national insulting. 'Foreign national', or 'non-irish national' would be more appropriate. I've never heard a government official call anyone a 'non-national', unless you count jackie healy rae!

brendan4 wrote: »

Personally (and with a name like Brendan I must be Irish), I find the term non-national insulting. 'Foreign national', or 'non-irish national' would be more appropriate. I've never heard a government official call anyone a 'non-national', unless you count jackie healy rae!

Because all the Polish kids stick together and dont mix with the Irish kids. They all play together in this one back garden. The Irish kids play on the street and in the park.

Sorry if you find the term Non Nationals offensive. I didnt give it any thought to be honest.

The Equality Authority use the term non nationals, I think if they can use the term then its ok to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

I think they use 'foreign national'...

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?docID=589

for example...

"About a quarter of the gross inflow in 2004 consisted of Irish emigrants returning home and about two fifths of it was made up of non-EU nationals. Population stock figures for 2002 show that about 5 per cent of the population, or 182,000 people, are foreign nationals. Non-EU nationals comprise the largest group of foreign nationals, around 80,000 or 45 per cent of all immigrants."

By the way, about the kids... did you ever think that they might not be 'mixing' because they don't feel welcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Because all the Polish kids stick together and dont mix with the Irish kids. They all play together in this one back garden. The Irish kids play on the street and in the park.

And why is this "all the Polish kids" sticking together and excluding the Irish kids, rather than the Irish kids sticking together and excluding the Polish kids?

To my mind, it's to the Polish parents' credit that they oversee their children's play in the garden rather than letting them play on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

By the way, about the kids... did you ever think that they might not be 'mixing' because they don't feel welcome?
    Or because their parents don't' feel they'll be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You should approach the residents comitee (if there is one) with the idea of a street party, should get everyone mixing. Kids will generally mix with anyone. This will either be good or bad for you, you'll get alllll the kids of the estate in next doors garden, or they'll all go and play outside the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I just came over to sympathise with the OP. The kids in our estate are pretty well behaved but the dogs are a nightmare. Barking insanely from first light until dark. I've been up at 5am every morning for the last few weeks. I actually left my car in work the other day and got a taxi home because I was too tired to feel safe driving! I think the problem is that several houses have dogs and as soon as one starts they drive each other nuts. I've approached some the owners and asked them if they would be willing to train the dogs not to bark but nothing has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I see some relevance to information. It provides some context for anyone proposing a resolution - to be aware that some cultural differences may exist, and prospective conversation may not flow fluently - steering the OP away from having a quiet word.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

what part of monaghan you from , im in carrickmacross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

uberwolf wrote: »
    to be aware that some cultural differences may exist,

Are u sure, that u know what are u talking about ?

Irish kids are not screaming or playing just outside our homes ?

I'd love to have my windows open if weather is good but I can't cos of screaming irish kids and their mums who are screaming as well while "inviting" kids for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, chips and burgers from takeaway etc.....

But maybe u are right saying that there are cultural differences between Irish and Polish kids - I need to be carefull all the time if I see group of irish kids somewhere close to me as I never know if they decide to throw stones into my direction just for fun.... or not. I've never had to think about this before I arrived here from Poland 4 years ago.

Threads like this are stupid and it should be removed from boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Are u sure, that u know what are u talking about ?

I'd love to have my windows open if weather is good but I can't cos of screaming irish kids and their mums who are screaming as well while "inviting" kids for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, chips and burgers from takeaway etc.....

But maybe u are right saying that there are cultural differences between Irish and Polish kids - I need to be carefull all the time if I see group of irish kids somewhere close to me as I never know if they decide to throw stones into my direction just for fun.... or not. I've never had to think about this before I arrived here from Poland 4 years ago.

Threads like this are stupid and it should be removed from boards.ie

Sounds like you live in a bad area with some sh1tty kids around. I'm gonna move to Poland as it sounds like even the less affluent areas there dont have any little toe-rags running around. Awesome. :pac:

luckat wrote: »
    And why is this "all the Polish kids" sticking together and excluding the Irish kids, rather than the Irish kids sticking together and excluding the Polish kids?

To my mind, it's to the Polish parents' credit that they oversee their children's play in the garden rather than letting them play on the street.

Jesus Christ - It doesnt matter if they are black blue green or yellow they are kids ok. The only reason why I said Polish was the fact that I think its great that the parents are encouraging them to play together in their own garden and not like the Irish prats with the chip on their shoulders who sit on your wall, if not your front door shouting abuse at you.

I think you are picking me up wrong.

I have changed my mind.

The kids are great, most of the time, they play in the garden, now they have ventured out on the street. They run in and out of everyones garden and I have caught three hiding around the back of our house.

I am actually annoyed now because their mother stands on the street keeping an eye on them, and allows them run in and out of other peoples gardens. If it was my kids they wouldnt be allowed to do that.

CAn we get off the idea of polish/irish kids, they just kids and all I wanted was a bit of advise as to if there is anything I can do to reduce the noise level, your working flat out all day, you get home and its constant noise till ten, its constant noise all weekend, enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

micmclo wrote: »
    I used to work shift and the summers were hell because like you said I couldn't open my window. If I did I heard the little girl next door whinging, shouting, crying etc etc. But what can you do apart from stop your neighbours having kids :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Jesus Christ - It doesnt matter if they are black blue green or yellow they are kids ok. The only reason why I said Polish was the fact that I think its great that the parents are encouraging them to play together in their own garden and not like the Irish prats with the chip on their shoulders who sit on your wall, if not your front door shouting abuse at you.
    That reminds me of a story my mother told me about someone ringing into Joe Duffy. It started one day with a concerned neighbour ringing in to say the 'Non Nationals' across from them used to put a new born baby in a pram on the balcony all day. It was March or something. Anyway, the story took legs and more and more people rang in saying how disgraceful it was etc. The concerned neighbour then rang social services who visited the apartment.

The next day the Dad rang Joe Duffy and said that his mother in law minded his child while he and his wife worked and in his country it's normal to keep babies wrapped up well outside as they sleep much better. Low and behold then all the Irish mammies started to ring in saying 'oh yes, we always left our kids outside and parents are so soft now etc.

It's off topic but seeing as the OP is getting slack for saying the kids were non national I thought I'd mention it. This generation of Irish parents are so cautious compared to our parents. We were dumped outside for the day and came home for dinner.

About living beside kids, I know it's no fun if you're living beside them but despite the noise they make I think it's nice to live in a development/estate with families. It gives the place a bit of life although I mightn't feel the same on a Saturday morning with a hangover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Dont be mad, they are busy posting on the internet or watching Sky to actually go outside and do stuff :)
    CAn we get off the idea of polish/irish kids, they just kids and all I wanted was a bit of advise as to if there is anything I can do to reduce the noise level
    I'm not taking the p1ss here, but it sounds like your very sensitive to noise and the kids in your area are not going anywhere [and IMHO have a right to play in and around their gaff]. I would look into basic sound proofing of your own gaff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , When it comes to kids of that age it's when they are quiet you should worry , thats when they are up to no good for sure.

Maybe a word with the parents ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

have a nice chat with the parents and see if they can assist a little. Unreasonable to expect absolute peace and quiet but IMO 10pm is too late, summer or no summer...

but I guess it;s the price you pay if you live on an estate - you never know who you might live next to.

As for them running in and out of your garden get a fence and a gate if you feel that precious of your turf (before you think I am having a go I'm not as I agreee with you and it would annoy me too!) but kids will be kids and if you think back to your childhood I'm sure you can remember going places you aren;t supposed to!

I hope you find a solution and try and enjoy where you live - whatever you do try not to let it get to you otherwise you will end up like Victor Meldrew everytime you hear their kids! :-)

Advertisement