Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would like to take up hill walking

Options
  • 03-06-2008 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, i would like to take up hill walking, i know the first thing i need is good boots (that fit). I'm thinking of camping and walking over the summer and i'd like some ideas of what i need. I have most of the camping gear but really not sure how to stay out of trouble while walking. I have no intention of taking on anything too challenging until i've had some practice but any advice would be welcome.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Good boots, walking socks, Walking trousers/or shorts (never jeans), Raingear, Good daysack, Compass (and now how to use it), maps for the area you will be walking in, Mobile phone, food, plenty of water (at least 1.5 litres), first aid kit, Fleece - you never now, etc...

A hat for these sunny days is a good option too.

The above is bare bones response - you should search this forum as there have been threads here in the past on the right gear to take with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

thanks for that. i'm trying to read all the threads. i havent done any hill walking since college. I used to have meindl boots but didnt find them any good were very slippy on wet rocks, is there any make of boots that come recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I currently use a pair of Meindls myself - and they are fine for trekking and walking and the like but hopeless for slippery surfaces. In fact they are downright dangerous - I had a terrible problem just keeping upright in them while walking up a wet path in Castletownsend last month.

But thats not a meindl problem - it applies to all walking boots and i've been searching for ages for a boot that gives good "walking support" and has excellent traction over slippery rocks and other slippery surfaces. But i've not yet found ones. I have a pair of Columbia walking shoes and they have reasonably good traction but they are getting on now and they are not waterproof.

thanks for that, yeah i dont like the idea of sliding all over the place. my brother suggested i get north face boots he says he has them and he finds the grip good on wet rock. Will just have to go have a look and ask the right questions.

thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If it helps, I've found Hanwags to be great on rocks and rough ground, not so good for asphalt, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Donny5 wrote: »
    If it helps, I've found Hanwags to be great on rocks and rough ground, not so good for asphalt, though.

the discussion on boot slipperyness is mostly to do with the soles. most of the best boots have the classic vibram sole. its a softish rubber with a great cutting tread. so good for grassy turfy woody stuff etc and displaces water from the turf well preventing aquaplaning. but it is a VERY old design, and tends to suck on wet slippery rock and on wet metal (man hole covers. i know, not many of them on the hills, but i wear my hanwags everywhere outdoors. i walk a lot, and love the support)
    so far the best sole for wet rocks was the original conta-grip used by solomon, back about ten years ago. they were since bought by nike, and have gone to the dogs entirely, unfortunately. other good soles for wet rock would be SOME hi-tec soles. the key to a good sole on wet rock are, thinner ridges with less flat sections i find.
    but their is a comprimise. soles that are good on wet rock become clogged with dirt very quickly and then become slippery on all surfaces, and they also wear out quicker.
    personally i will stick with vibrams as the majority of the terrain in ireland will be peaty or grassy. when walking keep an eye on your surface. if it is slippery angle your foot placement to maximise stability and surface area. keep your knees bent to lower your center of gravity and dont lift your foot until your other one is well placed and secured. if under weight use a stick or hiking pole to tripod your support.

thee are plenty of other factors in a boot, which varies depending on how they will be used. my advice is get something reasonably servisable, such as high-tecs, until you find out what kind of stuff you will be doing in them.
    people wearing hanwag forces boots on occasional day trips in summer are wasting money and doing their feet no favours. this boot type is designed to be used for extended periods (multi day trips. they will not need imediate care after trashing through muck all day every day) in awful terrain (all leather construction. high ankle design) under heavy loads (hard structure midsoles are good at supporting weight. but are not as comfy as a softer mid sole)

for summer trips up wicklow a pair of cordura/swade low cut trail boots will do just fine and be more comfortable in the short term. and will cost about 50-90 euro for something well good. for regular extended trips in winter a solid pair of meindles, lowa, or hanwag type boots are worth the investment. they are about 200 euro.
    hope this helps provide some clarity on footware.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

some basic stuff here http://www.bluestackramblers.com/info.html

mind you i carry spare clothes, food + water, first aid kit, torch, map and compass, always have waterproof jacket, overtrousers in rucsac.p probably too much stuff but you dont feel right if you havent got it on you. lent out knee supports couple of weeks ago.
    boots hae zamberlans and lowa both good in there own way.

thanks for all the help. Still working on getting organised. thanks for the links too.

Advertisement