Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checkpoint with out of date insurance disc

Options
  • 03-06-2008 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

On Saturday I realised I've been going around with an insurance disc that expired 04/08, it was just a 2 month disc while I got set up with a new insurance company, I got the proper disc ages ago but just forgot to replace it, come Sunday I still forgot and it never crossed my mind as I got into my van, then 5 minutes later I approach a checkpoint checking tax and I got waved through without a word spoken to me:confused:

To be honest, I think having a branded van helps, I've been waved through breath tests before with every car ahead being pulled in and the cars behind too, I'm not sure if I've ever been breathalysed in my current van. When I had the old banger of a transit it was a different story though, they'd single me out, question me and even after saying I don't drink, would breathalyse me. So maybe she just assumed that it looks like a fleet van, so it must be ok :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

do you know if its possible to tax your vehicle for one month only? There is no option to do so online. I need to tax my car for one month only as it will be off the road for the next 3 after that.

If i cant tax it for one month,,, I will just chance my luck on the road, as Im not forking out for 3months tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do you have an in date tax disc now? What's the expiry date on it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

peanuthead wrote: »
    do you know if its possible to tax your vehicle for one month only? There is no option to do so online. I need to tax my car for one month only as it will be off the road for the next 3 after that.

If i cant tax it for one month,,, I will just chance my luck on the road, as Im not forking out for 3months tax.

3 months is minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

peanuthead wrote: »

If you have a current tax disc, you'll get a months grace period after your disc has expired.
    I think anyway! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Soarer wrote: »
    If you have a current tax disc, you'll get a months grace period after your disc has expired.
    I think anyway! :o

Nah, no grace period with car insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Onkle wrote: »
    Nah, no grace period with car insurance

I was answering peanuthead's question about taxing a car for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

thanks Soarer,

Ill keep that in mind, and hope I dont hit any checkpoints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You're taking a big risk there, you'd only be missing out on 2 months if you had to tax it for one anyway. When does your current tax run out and what month are you going to start not driving your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

cormie wrote: »
    On Saturday I realised I've been going around with an insurance disc that expired 04/08,......
    To be honest, I think having a branded van helps, I've been waved through breath tests before with every car ahead being pulled in and the cars behind too, I'm not sure if I've ever been breathalysed in my current van. When I had the old banger of a transit it was a different story though, they'd single me out, question me and even after saying I don't drink, would breathalyse me. So maybe she just assumed that it looks like a fleet van, so it must be ok :o
    On the renewal it gives you a month to get a new one, so effectively by Saturday. The garda may have decided to give you the benefit of the doubt because of the long weekend. Having a smart van probably helps. An old banger is more likely to be taxless, insuranceless and nctless .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wil wrote: »
    On the renewal it gives you a month to get a new one, so effectively by Saturday.
    You are thinking of tax, not insurance!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They waved me on with no tax and no full liecensed driver. very odd, one minute they will bust yo ass for nothing and then the next time something majour and they will let it fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had just bought a car and had no Insurance disc or no tax disc. Only thing in the screen was an NCT disc (I was insured and was just driving the car home from where I had bought it) and was waved through a checkpoint

Advertisement