Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to destroy a CD/DVD?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the easiest way to destroy a CD/DVD so that the data on it cannot be read?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

probably microwave it, but that could lead to things going boom..

burn it maybe?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some shredders can take cds. That should do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't wanna have to burn all my CD/DVDs.

My shredder only does credit cards and 8 sheets paper. It's one of the cheap Advent ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hammer.

nice way to get rid of those lynx boxsets you get at christmas, blow torch the cds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cremo wrote: »
    hammer.

nice way to get rid of those lynx boxsets you get at christmas, blow torch the cds
    1212453495.png

Hammers not exactly ideal :(

I do like the blow torch idea though lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,720 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just a couple seconds in the microwave but any longer and you get the braniac effect, so its risky.

take a lighter to it. But unless you are being targetted by the CIA breaking it into 2 or 3 pieces will do just the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Hand it to a toddler, they will get working on it straight away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Large scissors, snip, snip until its in pieces. I cut them into quarters and put them in the bin at seperate times. Anyone manages to get that data, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Pot of boiling water maybe?

Personally I just bend them in 2. As was said, as long as your data isn't matter of national security then you should be fine!

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Line them up in a row on a gravel path and drive over em! Quick, and a challenge to hit them all!

Wait!

Lawnmower! Need I say more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Shotgun. The CDs can be your own home-made clay pigeons :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just bend them in half, or scratch them with something like a brillo pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

actually if you break a cd into pieces it can be put back together and read

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

actually if you break a cd into pieces it can be put back together and read
    sounds like a challenge, master.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Scratch the disc with a coin or something sharper on the printed side of the disc,its that side that has the reflective metal coating under the ink and lacqer.

actually thats for factory made cds, recordable discs are different but the read side material is usually very brittle so just bend it a few times and the material might just flake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

burning = toxic fumes

cd shredder or

other method get newspaper put cd inside and roll up and break into smaller pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Send them in the post....with "Fragile" written on the packaging;):D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I got a CD/DVD punch in Maplin (€4) designed to punch one hole (Like a real heavy duty paper punch) in the first track nearest the spindle hole & it most definitely make the CD/DVD unreadable.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement