Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Brady

Options
  • 03-06-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I recently heard some of Paul Brady's material and have been really impressed (especially the song "Nothing but the same old story; some of the best lyrics about Irish emigration I have ever heard).
    I am looking to buy some of his stuff, can someone point me in the right direction and recommend a good album to start off with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SONG BOOK is a good album.... some decent tracks on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Paul Brady is absolutely AMAZING!

Check out these videos for some of Paul back in the day with Andy Irvine...it's spine tinglingly good =]

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8RVexRUoQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

The Liberty tapes is an absolute must...Classic songs.Then theres the cd with the Photo and name of Paul brady and Andy irvine.....another classic.I met paul at the Cara Dillon concert in Vicar Street.He signed my gig book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yep, I'd be quite the fan of his stuff. That Arthur McBride solo always gets me:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=qrW2OpKj1lg&feature=related

Must get some of the older albums now that I think of it, thanks for reminding me CSC!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Overdraft

I suppose you have to divide Paul Brady's career in to two phases, the Trad days (with Andy Irvine etc) and then from the 'Hard Station' album on - the rockier stuff.

I loved Hard Station, Crazy Dreams, Nothing But The Same Old Story, etc, but I do think it was all downhill after that. Personally, I'd rate 'The Island' as the single most God-awful song written since earth was created. I can never forgive him for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Was is so bad about The Island? The lyrics are some of the best I've heard on that topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

The Island is a truly inspirational song with amazing lyrics...I think some people only ever 'hear' the chorus part I wana take you to the island, and trace your footprints in the sand...'

It's a fine song!

Also I reckon the solo here in the '77 video of him singing Arthur McBride is out of this world...so clear and crisp! Makes the hair stand on the back of me neck...=]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Thanks for all the advice folks; going to buy a couple of his albums on Amazon today. The one with Andy Irvine looks especially good.

Some of the videos of him on YouTube are outstanding. One of Ireland's top talents.

Advertisement