Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with historical ignoramuses??

Options
  • 02-06-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

A lot of people think they know a lot of history, but they're actually wrong the whole time. For example my buddy thinks hes the shizz at history. He thinks he knows all there is to know. If I read some big book and talk about aspects in it, he always acts as if he knows better. But most of the time hes full of cràp!

The other night I was on boards, and him and another friend were having a historical discussion. My buddy claimed that the reason the Americans dropped the atom bombs was because the Japanese were (and I quote) "kicking their asses". This is the guy that will always shout you down in a history discussion. Oh, and he claims that Ireland was fascist during WWII, and that we were allied to Germany.

So my question is (at last!!) is how do you deal with such ignoramuses?? If I try to prove him wrong he throws his eyes up to heaven. Take out a book and he will claim he has a book to counter it. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ask him where he gets his information from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

turgon wrote: »
    So my question is (at last!!) is how do you deal with such ignoramuses?? If I try to prove him wrong he throws his eyes up to heaven. Take out a book and he will claim he has a book to counter it. What do I do?
    Get a big, heavy book and tell him you're going to smack him around with it. See if he has a better book... Seriously, ask him to cite references; even better: do it at his place where he has the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

turgon wrote: »
    A lot of people think they know a lot of history, but they're actually wrong the whole time. For example my buddy thinks hes the shizz at history. He thinks he knows all there is to know. If I read some big book and talk about aspects in it, he always acts as if he knows better. But most of the time hes full of cràp!

The other night I was on boards, and him and another friend were having a historical discussion. My buddy claimed that the reason the Americans dropped the atom bombs was because the Japanese were (and I quote) "kicking their asses". This is the guy that will always shout you down in a history discussion. Oh, and he claims that Ireland was fascist during WWII, and that we were allied to Germany.

Ask him was World War Two a War Between Good Versus Evil or Evil Versus Evil, no i'm just joking, don't ask him that, infact don't ask anyone that(You'll just be running around in circles for a month)

Seriously though if the guy is that annoying then the guy is obviously pulling your leg, just act like he dose and make up your own stuff, make him confused and then when he asks you for your facts, just smile and walk away. He'll be pretty PO'd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Everyone is like that about Ancient Greek and Roman history. They see the Gladiator and think they know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ignorami?

• Advertisement
Advertisement