Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Dustin the Turkey Embarrass Ireland?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

The question is did Dustin the Turkey Embarras Ireland?
    Or did he do Ireland a big favour by sticking two fingers up to a different Eurovision , where new EU ascension countries vote for each other.

Where Ireland have been reduced to a last place priority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

have you never watched the eurovision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Dustin made me proud, he really did.
    A fantastic performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Dustin was no more embarassing than Dervish were last year, or (*shudder) Donna & Joe in 2005.
    He gave a great performance, unfortunately Eastern Europe didn't seem to get the joke:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I genuinely think we should send him back next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭rockysweatpants

Hey ive seen the eurovision many times.
    I know Johnny Logan went on radio and says he felt 'SHAME'.

Although I empathise with Johnny Logan who won it way back in 1980 when Ireland was such a different place etc, I still feel Dustin remains an enigma to me.

On the one hand, I'm glad he took the mickey.
    On the other hand I felt the fact that he pointed out the problems of Eurovision ( i.e one big joke and useless acts , were not going to win ) was too in your face.

The whole idea for the sorry mess that is the Eurovision, is to bring Europe together in one stupid song. Hey thats positive.

However Dustin the Turkey just points out the negative 'Terry wogans wig, johnny logans gig'.

I need clarification from someone.

I want to feel proud he stuck it to the Eurovison, however my thoughts are did we really need to state the obvious for a laugh, to millions of Europeans who might think differently about Ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm sick to the teeth that someone in RTE thought the turkey had a chance!

Pity Zig & Zag went to MTV, or they could have rapped. That would've been cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Sean_K wrote: »
    I genuinely think we should send him back next year.
    As Dustin International :D

He didn't embarrass Ireland at all. Far from it. The 'competition' is now just a love-in between the old eastern bloc countries. Ireland will never win it again no matter who we send.

Good point

So my next question is :

If we are never gonna win it again, why bother send anyone in the first place??

What u think? Should we Stop sending entries to the Eurovision.
    Snub it completely? Or continuously send no-hopers along to die a death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I don't think Dustin embarrassed us ... but I do think we embarrassed ourselves by sending him.

We may never win it again, but the only way we'll know that is to send a credible song along. To do that we need to play to our strenghts, a decent ballad, even a traditional one, would serve us well.

If we are to keep sending the crap we have sent for the last several years there is no chance, and we may as well stop going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

there was so much of this 'the eurovisions a joke so wer'e gonna treat it as a joke' goin around -i could never get behind that way of thinking. i just dont see the pride to be taken from being the biggest idiot at the dumbass party

• Advertisement

That is True.

Dustin was coarse and vulgar about it all. Dustin represented the lowest of the low and not the real irish people. Thats what i think now.

Hey im all for fun, but when you send a song that begins with a prolonged faaaaaaaaaaaart then you know we have really messed up.

What u all think???

Advertisement