Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Chocolate Lab ?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this, Me and My Fiancee bought a chocolate lab last December, Since then She has started to develop lots of white spots all over her, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it is or could she not be a pure bred? Not that it'll make a huge difference we still love her just annoying after spending €350 on her!

any idears ??

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

In Ireland paying large amounts of money for a pure bred does not gurantee the dog is a pure pure bred dog. A small white spot on the chest is allowed (if showing the dog) but don't think white spots all over are. So she's prolly a pure bred but not bred to show standard if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

maybe she's developing vitaligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

A lovely pup, that. The white markings
    are no indication of the 'pureness' of the
    breeding I think. If she has the typical
    lab gentle nature the 350 wasn't a
    bad deal at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

In Ireland paying large amounts of money for a pure bred does not gurantee the dog is a pure pure bred dog.
    ditto.

was the breeder you got her from reputable or just a BYB?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Oh, she is lovely. Have exact same thing with my PB black lab - white flecks, like freckles on his muzzle & white patches behind front 2 paws. He is def. pure bred from reputable breeder & has wonderful show pedigree. Makes no difference to me, I love him for what & who he is and have no illusions about showing him. I'm not sure but think it is probably a recessive gene? that causes this & often doesn't show until after a dog is 6 months old or more and loses puppy coat for adult one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now you've got a pure Stracciatella Lab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

peasant wrote: »
    Now you've got a pure Stracciatella Lab :D

Don't go giving people ideas ......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

I bet you have a Mismarked labrador.

Check this out,http://www.blueknightlabs.com/mismarks/

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, I'm actually quite confident she is a pure bred I mean look at that face!!! Still with the white spots just makes her unike everyone says they've never seen them before. Seen as the "pedigree" showers wouldn't like that we should start a dog show for "uniquely" perfect dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

She just mismarked - she's got a lovely labby face :o

My Dane has white spots all over her head, ears and legs. Each one corresponds with the teeth imprints left by the dogs that have played rough with her or spots where she cut herself. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

haddook wrote:
    My Dane has white spots all over her head, ears and legs. Each one corresponds with the teeth imprints left by the dogs that have played rough with her or spots where she cut herself.

Funny you should say that! I had a black and cream tortoiseshell cat, and she was poisoned. I brought her to the vet and she was given an injection in the loose skin on her shoulder blades. From then on she always had a snow-white mark there!

OP, maybe your dog is a heroin addict? :D

But really, she is a beautiful dog and really unusual. I always think animals with markings are much nicer than those without, it gives them a bit of individuality!

Advertisement