Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohr's Atomic Theory

Options
  • 02-06-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Right I know it perfect but does anyone know if the modifications to it are on the course? cause i can't find them in any book..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

The Bohr theory worked well for the electron in the hydrogen atom, however it did not account for the many lines in the emission spectra of the atoms with many electrons.

Alors

In steps wave particle duality. De Broglie suggested that all moving particles have a wave nature associated with them. This wave motion is impossible to detect in large objects. For smaller particles such as the electron it should be possible to detect. As this was found to be correct, the Bohr theory of the electron travelling in a fixed orbit around the nuleus cannot be correct. This problem was then solved mathematically by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle:

It is impossible to measure at the same time the position and the velocity of the electron.

It is only possible to talk about the probability of finding the electron in a particular position in the atom-this region is called an orbital.

Done & done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

thanks a bunch:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

nps sureee!

i hope it comes up. easy enough really :D

Advertisement