Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S3 Resume Problem

Options
  • 02-06-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Graphics goes nuts when resumed from S3, have to reset system. Works fine with Athlon 4600+ Dual core.

MSI K9A2 NEO-F
    AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
    memory twin 2 x 2048MB DDR2-800 DIMM - NCP (4048MB)
    Sapphire HD 2400 XT 256MB
    Windows Vista 64 bit
    MB bios updated to latest version
    PSU 530W
    single SATAII harddrive,
    2 x IDE DVD
    Raid deactivated.
    suspend set to S3, resume setup via mouse or keyboard
    Not overclocked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

one of your periperals doesn't like going to sleep so best bet is to check each device and see what the problem item is. Other than that it could be your power supply and maybe if you are using the gpu drivers from the manufacturer and not the latest from ati??
    the main time this problem occurs is with your gpu so you could try a different gpu to determine.
    Do you have the recall gpu from wake up setting set?
    Creative soundcards don't like going to bed either:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

It goes to sleep fine, system goes haywire when I wake it up from s3 sleep.

It seems to be the Phenom 9850 processor because system is fine with the 4600+ X2.

There is nothing wrong with the graphics card either because I had ran it in another mainboard with the 4600+ and Vista64 for a couple of months without any problems at all.

I can't find "recall gpu from wake up" in either the bios or graphics card settings.

Power supply was fine with other processor but this one is drawing more power so perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Could be a driver issue - I know certain older Intel chipsets had trouble resuming in Win2000/XP, and newer drivers solved the problem. Are there still drivers for AMD CPUs in Vista? Also, make sure your graphics and chipset ones are up to date.

I have updated the bios, installed the latest drivers for all hardware and updated Vista x64.

I enabled "recall gpu from wake up".

Now when I wake system from S3, display stays dark and hard drive led stays on continuously, unless I reset the system.

Only minor change after enabling "recall gpu from wake up" in bios.

Now when I wake system from S3, display stays dark, hard drive LED comes on solid while all fans whirl as they should. It would have stayed in this condition until I got bored and pressed the reset button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Is your Mobo fully compliant with Phenom, Phenom seems to be still in its Public Beta Stage so I wouldn't build a Production PC with it.

Hi spannertoole, I chose this board carefully by checking out all it's specs on the msi website before I bought but I do wish I had gone for Intel instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This should be a simple one to fix. Go into the bios and look for the ACPI modes, change from s3 to s1. Problem should be solved.

If that dosent work, disable all powersaving features in the bios, and let power management in vista handle it.

That's more avoiding the problem than fixing it! S1 standby consumes a lot more power as power is still going to nearly everything - all that happens is the CPU caches are emptied and it stops executing instructions. I haven't tried it on modern PCs but on my P3 the fans all stayed on so it wasn't exactly quiet either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive never had any problem with s1. But at least its an option for the OP

• Advertisement

I agree with zilog_jones, it's fine with s1 but it doesn't turn off much.

Anti wrote: »
    Ive never had any problem with s1. But at least its an option for the OP

S3 standby turns off nearly everything except RAM, so it's silent and doesn't really consume much power at all (usually <5W). Depending on the PC you wouldn't know it was in standby at all (often no flashing lights etc.).

It seems to be a Vista x64 problem because it froze up in the middle of a Buzz Out Loud podcast. Screen went blank and it kept repeating the same second of sound from the podcast.

Thanks guys for all your help.

After trying a clean installs of windows xp, vista and Linux in combination with a AMD dual core 4600+ and Phenom 9850 it looks like that the MSI K9A2 NEO-F mainboard is the cause of my problems so it's back to Komplett with it asap.

Advertisement