Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much attention does a young cat need?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

I'm asking because my neighbour went off for the long weekend and left it outside with a bowl of food on the window sill.
    I know cats are more independent than dogs but this seems to be neglect to me. The cat is still quite young and looks like it likes company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Dont you just love it when people do that.
    Lets get a cat, it can mind itself, sure if it runs out of food it can kill a mouse or something. If they had a dog would they do the same?
    I wish pet ownership laws would come into this country. My feeling on ownig cats is that people should look after their cats the same way they do their dogs. If it was a dog there would be an uproar.

Can you take it in op? You are right it is neglect. Even if you have a shed or something that the kitty can sleep in.

People like those owners make my blood boil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Talked to another neighbour since and she said the cat is in their place regularly. The neighbour has a young child who likes the cat and given it a name other than what appears on it's collar. It is a bit of an annoyance for the neighbour but as cats go it's a nice one.
    So at least the cat has some company but myself and the neighbour are of the opinion it is being neglected by it's owner. We put out some water for the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

People are really mean to cats I have decided!! Just because they are independent little creatures people seem to think they are fine fending for themselves.

I know someone who went on holidays and was in the airport when they suddenly "remembered" they hadn't done anything about their cat. Rang up a relative who spent the next few weeks climbing over a wall in the back garden to feed it.

Your neighbour's cat will probably be ok, hopefully it won't get an injury or sick while they are away. I'd say the biggest risk is that it'll get fed up and wander off somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

I really hate when i hear about stuff like this!:mad: Any time i go away i pay for my cat to go to a cattery! At least you know they are safe warm and fed. People can be so selfish if you can afford to go away then you can afford for your pet to go to a cattery/boarding kennel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I really wonder about the way people treat pets here sometimes, It's getting better but still a long way to go. I lived in UK for years when a child and we had many pets, and though it wasn't perfect there but at least there were laws about looking after pets. We always neutered, wormed and vacinated regularly. Where i live i have several neighbours with dogs i've never seen as they're kept in back gardens and never walked, others that spend all day in street or trying to get into bins. There are many scrawny un-neutered cats roaming around, one neighbour has a tom who marks his territory everywhere inside and out, and are getting fed up with him but won't pay to get him neutered(they can afford this by the way). At the moment i know of 2 litters of puppies unwanted and unplanned, and kittens are often born have no idea where they disapear to. One neighbour comented on our lovely healthy looking cats and was surprised to find out they were 7 years old(thought cats only lived about 5 yrs none of theirs lived more than that) and told me about their cat not seeming well, I looked at it and told him to worm it and get it checked by vet as it has bald spots and response was we never worm our cats they don't need it! They have kids too! Sorry for rant it just bugs me people can be so clueless or careless. Don't get me wrong there are good and loving and responsible pet owners here, but still alot of put it out and it'll look after/entertain itself, owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement