Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown algae...what can i do?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Brown algae is starting to grow in my tank. What are the procedures for getting rid of it?
    Its a tropical freshwater tank. 110 litres, 5 guppies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

What I would do for now until you can later figure out the cause is to do water changes 1/3 at least everyday for several days. This should help get rid of your algae problems. Also, wipe away as much as you can and keep the filter material rinsed and clean in old aquarium water only.
    *With time, brown algae problems will go away either on their own, or with plenty of water changes and wiping.
    yuor tank must be in direct sunlight imo.
    Try moving it to a another spot away from the sun and it will reduce the algae.
    A large plecostomus is great for algae as they love it and they do the job cleaning the algae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Brown algae is called diatoms caused by excess nutrients and certain elements, it is not as difficult to remove as other types as algae, but it does indicate a problem with your water quality.

The number 1 cause is sunlight, even indirect. Couple this with overfeeding,overstocking or poor water quality and you've got diatom. Harmless to fish unless extreme. Maybe pick up an algae eater of some descritpion, a pleco (recommend Bristle nose) for tropical, Beaufortia Leverette for coldwater (Requires good water current).

Easiest way to remove it? get a good maintenance schedule going, weekly 1/4 water changes, dechlorinate tap water before it's added. Never wash filter under the tap, wash sponges etc only in water removed from the tank for that purpose. wash filter media once a month or as required. If it's an under gravel filter use a gravel syphon/vac(I recommend one of these anyway) get this schedule going before adding any more fish, wipe the diatom from the glass, it will eventually filter out if good water quality is kept. Keep tank out of sunlight, if the sun hits it, even indirectly move it to a darker part of the house. Feed only once a day, as much as they will eat in 2 -5 minutes. remove all uneaten food. Don't have the lights on for more then 10 hours a day max.

Do this and your tank will be fine. Don't bother looking for a quick fix like accuclear or green away. you need to get to the root problem by addressing the above.

Hope this helps
    Regards

Advertisement