Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering a poet Q!

Options
  • 01-06-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

a quick question concerning how to answer a question on poetry,so here it goes, when asked to write a letter giving a personal response to a poet's, do you;
    a)start the answer in a layout of a letter, with the opening paragraph praising and outline your admiration for the poet or whatever? and the finishing para.concluding and signing off with yours faithfully, and all that stuff?

or b) just write the body of the letter

I feel that a) would take precious time from an already tight schedule in this endurance examiination??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You're asked to write a letter, so yes format it like a letter and have opening and closing paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

^ Yep, do include a "Dear Derek" and a sign off, but the format isn't hugely important here at all. Do it, but don't fret over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

If you know his name (Mahon) do you sign off on Your faithfully, Yours sincerely or, Hugs and Kisses xoxo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

If you know his name (Mahon) do you sign off on Your faithfully, Yours sincerely or, Hugs and Kisses xoxo :P

sincerely if you know the name, faithfully if you don't and truly for anything.

What about the address? or do you just write dear ... and the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Peleus wrote: »
    sincerely if you know the name, faithfully if you don't and truly for anything.

What about the address? or do you just write dear ... and the date?

I imagine you can leave the address and date out, I did in the mocks, and my teacher (who's usually quite pedantic about that kind of thing) said nothing about it, and she's told us that format isn't that important in the letter to a poet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

make sure you address the poet along the course of your answer.eg dear ms boland, i found your poetry to be very sentimental and moving.your poems gave me a better view of life.etc.
    and since u cannot be asked to write a letter(if any) to a dead person, i would 4get about john donne or any other dead poets.
    ps:i think Eavan boland and derek mahon have a Great Chance of comin up

Advertisement