Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenOffice won't let me edit my own file

Options
  • 01-06-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

When I open my .doc file (which is not a read only file )in openoffice, it comes up as read only and I can't edit it.

I checked the properties and it is definitely not read only.

Why is openoffice doing this?
    Why cant I edit the file.

I'm really frustrated with this.
    Please help someone.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This can happen if the filesystem it's on is read-only (such as a CD-ROM). I've also seen it when I open an attachment in email.

More information would be useful. Windows, Linux or other? What version of OpenOffice? Can you provide a directory listing, showing that the file isn't read-only?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

....Or a locked ( little switch on the side ) USB stick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try file ,save as and choose a new name on a writeable drive

knoppix bootable CD won't let you save to the CD

you might not have write permissions to a network folder

the disk could be full ( but usually it's word that gives totally misleading error messages about not finding a disk or disk being full )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheMelodyOfRain

I encountered a similar situation yesterday morning, where I was working on an article and OpenOffice would let me open any of the documents, but I just reinstalled through a terminal and it resolved the issue. I nearly went into cardiac arrest, though. I have since switched to AbiWord, which I've used in the past and have had no issues with.

Advertisement