Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Othello....

Options
  • 01-06-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Has anyone else heard about the appeal of othello in the 21st century coming up?? That would be some beautiful question.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Has anyone else heard about the appeal of othello in the 21st century coming up?? That would be some beautiful question.....

Haven't heard that, and it'd be quite odd I think. And tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Our teacher mentioned that a few weeks ago, i'm not sure so sure if id like it

All im doing is character questions on othello and iago.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

appeal of othello 4 the 21st century- have to agree with mr. walsho there, its a tricky q alright!
    There is no appeal of a scheming lerker, in iago and a f*ucking dope called othello existing in this era!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

You joined just to tell us that? Is it a sign?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

blue-army wrote: »
    You joined just to tell us that? Is it a sign?
    :D

Ha I thought that for a second too!
    But really, what would you write for this? It'd be inconvenient with regards to showing off character knowledge and putting in quotes etc. Perhaps discuss the racism in the play and how it shows how far we've come in that racism is despised in most places these days? Anyone got something substantial you could talk about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Well, I don't think that question would be too bad... You could possibly talk about how a few of the themes (such as jealousy in particular maybe, there's a lot to say about that) are relevent in the 21st centry. People can still be jealous, I guess? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

1huge1 wrote: »
    All im doing is character questions on othello and iago.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Though for this question I suppose you could talk about how a modern audience would like the imagery and symbols...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Our teacher made us do a question on this before, most of the answers were based around lessons we learn from the play about jealousy, not trusting too much, racism, honesty/dishonesty, love and stuff like that. He said our answers were pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Same.

They fit into the question though. You just need to warp your answer to suit the question.

Timeless plot.
    True villain
    Flawed hero "tragic hero"
    Visual aids. We have technology today, they didn't back then.

That;s just my opinion anyway. :<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 penguinbars

You could talk about how we live in an unbelievably cynical world so the lack of a cliched happy ending is welcomed.... The perverse outlook on love that Shakespeare takes is intriguing (nothing good comes of it throughout the play).....the dramamtic irony....timeless themes....relatable characters.... there's loads!!

Advertisement