Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent 4 wheel drive and lsd

Options
  • 31-05-2008 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, oh and girls too,
    Working in a test station and when you put a 4x4 on the rollers, if it has permanent 4 wheel drive or automatic 4 wheel drive it will jump out of the rollers once the start to turn.
    An example is suzuki vitara or vw touraeg.
    Now there is an option on our rollers to have the wheels rotate in opposite directions and do one brake at a time.
    Its not ideal but it works.
    The problem is, if there is a rear (or a front) lsd this would be very bad for it..
    If you were to bring the vehicle in and jack it up you could find out straight away but time is ticking and it would be a pain.
    What i'd like is a list of vehicle that have an lsd as standard and auto/perm 4x4.
    This could also be benifical to you as if yo knew this for certain, saying it to the tester before hand might save your diff
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

slideways wrote: »
    Now there is an option on our rollers to have the wheels rotate in opposite directions and do one brake at a time.
    Its not ideal but it works.

If I found you (or anyone else) rotating the wheels on one axle in oppsite directions for a brake test on my yoke, I'd wring your neck right there and then, LSD or no LSD.

Just use the decelerometer for brake testing like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

peasant wrote: »
    If I found you (or anyone else) rotating the wheels on one axle in oppsite directions for a brake test on my yoke, I'd wring your neck right there and then, LSD or no LSD.

I was only doing as I have been told to do by the department.
    I'm sure that MAHA have done research and fouund it to be acceptable otherwise they would not provide the 'visco' option on their equipment

Will MAHA (whoever they are) also fit my car with a new drivetrain / diff/ viscous coupling/ gearbox or whatever goes *ping* when it all goes horribly wrong?

No?

See ..that's why I would wring your neck if I saw you doing that.

All it takes is a small speed differential between the two opposing sides and you'll get "creep" to the other axle and the vehicle will jump of the rollers with two wheels still spinnig in opposing directions...something or other would definetly go *ping* then.

The NCT centre in Sligo had no probs testing my brakes with the decelerometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Fair enough. its a valid point..
    Maha are the crowd that manufacture the test equipment.
    Delete/lock this thread if you so wish.

No need for locking it. My opinion is not the only valid one around here, others might differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

peasant wrote: »

Exactly ;)

Advertisement