Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearest police station... wheres the Garda ones?

Options
  • 31-05-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

On my Garmin 760 it has a cool little 'where am I' feature that shows your location and other stuff around you. One thing I cant understand is why it shows police stations up north and no Garda ones at all down here.

Suppose we were an afterthought like always.

Would downloading POI stuff help me here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Apparently Garmin puts Ireland well down the priority list because of the relatively small number of potential users.

In the case of Garda stations, it may also be that there is no register of the exact locations of these. The Garda commissioner up in the Phoenix Park may have a list of stations with their postal addresses but that's not much good for digital mapping when you consider that most of them are in rural areas and do not have a street address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hey thanks for your response, it makes sense for sure.

Also today I see Dublin Zoo is not even listed in my POI by default, wonder why?

Anyhow I hope somebody somewhere made a list of Garda stations for download in POI format, just handy to have IMO.

Regards,

GT

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can add filling stations to the list, I know these are listed but in a lot of cases the data is years out of date.

Take Windsor Motors, a Nissan dealer in Dublin on Deans Grange Road opposite the cemetery, they haven't been an Esso filling station for the guts of 10 years but are listed in the 2008 (V10) maps so nobody in either Esso Ireland or Navteq is bothered to keep the data current.

You also have to wonder about hotels, the Four Seasons on the Merrion Road is not listed in the 2008 maps, nor is the Slieve Russel in Cavan yet tiny little obscure hotels in one horse towns all around the country are listed, makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MyPOIs.ie has Garda stations, but these all download as custom POI's so won't appear on the Garmin "Where am I?" screen unfortunately. Personally I think that POI handling is a major weakness in the Garmin nuvi line .. there ought to be a way of both editing and removing useless POI's from the inbuilt list, and also to seamlessly merge new custom POI's into the main POI structure rather than having them stuck out on a limb on their own under the "Extras" menu.

Also take your point about the quality of the existing POI database .. there are all kinds of things in there that are wildly out of date and things like Dun Laoghaire Ferry Terminal which isn't mentioned anywhere, not even Transportation (seems to be only Rail and Dart stations).

Advertisement