Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original artwork

Options
  • 31-05-2008 12:40pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There have been a few threads about original artwork before but usually about how to care for them or where to get them framed. Having just realised that I've now got a few pieces of original artwork, I thought it would be good to have a thread where people discuss what pieces they have, or would like to have.

Currently I have:

The original Action Beaver page from Bear
    2 panels from Bob Byrne's Mister Amperduke
    1 original non-comic piece by Paul Duffield
    1 original non-comic piece by David Bircham

Things I wouldn't mind having:

One of the Cary Nord covers for the Ultimate Human series
    The original promotional art used for Ultimate Iron Man 2
    Pretty much anything by Disraeli

So, what original art do you own? What would you love to own, if money and availability weren't an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I have a bunch of stuff.

I went to the New York Comic Con last year and all the artists were kind enough to draw some pictures for me. Ethan Van Sciver did a superfast Batman for me and I got a Batman, Wolverine, Robin and a bunch of others. Gonna frame them when I'm home

Mike Mignola Autographed a Hellboy poster for me as well

Brian Azzarello assumed I didn't know he was a writer cuz I was getting signatures ina sketch book so he drew a ****ty looking batman and gave a lazy-ass signature!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Seeing as I'm a printmaker I do tend to focus on silkscreens/lithos/etchings when it comes to art work.

My pride and joy a limited edition numbered silkscreen by Tara McPherson [the Melvins print that appears in Juno] and a set of 12 mini silkscreens.

My other pride and joy a limited edition numbered silkscreen by Brian Ewing [the Converge print]

Three World War three illustrated silkscreens [including the Peter Kuper 9/11 print]

Bunch of small scratchboard pieces by Peter Kuper and a test print from Spy vs Spy [its all done with sentcils and spray paint]

Two Bruce Waldman Etchings and one monoprint.

Original page [pg 172] from the first Baby-Sitters Club graphic Novel by Raina Telgemeier.

2 panels from Bob Byrne's Mister Amperduke

Original page from The Island by Alex Cahill

Original one page comic by Robery Goodin

Scott Campbell print [which he spelled my name wrong on and then got upset so drew a dooddle to try and hide it]

Hereville print signed by Barry Deutsch [who we love!]

Ken Dahl silkscreen from his Monsters comic [a comic about contracting genital warts :p]

Liz Greenfield silkscreen

Hilary Florido silkscreen

Two silkscreens by Sakura Maku

Two Gia Bao Tan prints

Two Becky Cloonan prints

Two Justin Madson prints from his Happy Town webcomic

One print by Paul Duffield

Tyler Page print

Dr. McNinja print

two prints and one sketch by Amanda Conner

Sketches from Gary Panter, Seth Tobcoman, David Sandlin, Disraeli, David Mazzucchelli, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Alex Ross, Sam Keith, Sue Coe,

The animation nerds might be the only ones to appricate these - Tarzen sketch and a piece of rough animation by Glen Keane and several rough animation pages by Bill Plympton

Theres more but I'm not at home and can't recall what else is there.

if I could have any piece? Hmmm it use to be a Tara McPherson print but I finally got one :D. If I had the money I'd love an original page from Thomas Ott. The Turtle nerd in me would also love some animation from the new series or some artwork from Peter Laird.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Holy christ on a stick Ztoical, that is some helluva collection!
    This is all I got, I've only started attending cons a few years ago, and Irish-only. :P

-Mbleh! #1 signed by Byrne and he drew that little squid creature of his on it too.
    -Sancho #3 signed by Da Nolan
    -Atomic Rocket Group signed by Curley
    -Corpus Monstrum vol. 1 with color plate signed by Gary Gianni
    -Dark Horse Book of Monsters signed by Leah Moore and John Reppion
    -City of Dublin signed by Gerry Hunt

Aaaand I think that's it. I'd love to start a proper collection though. It's just that I can never attend the British or American ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Ztoical, how'd you get all that stuff? Own your own comic book store?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Ok... a few of my favourite original artwork pages, all bought at cons or from ebay...

Robusters from Starlord#3 by Dave Gibbons
    Timequake from Starlord#1 by Ian Kennedy
    Robohunter from 2000ad#152 by Ian Gibson
    Halo Jones from 2000ad#376 by Ian Gibson
    VCs from 2000ad#1300 by Henry Flint
    Judge Dredd from 2000ad#1334 by Henry Flint
    Judge Dredd from 2000ad#1147 by Cam Kennedy
    Harlem Heroes: Inferno from 2000ad#48 by Massimo Belardinelli
    Hellblazer#132 by John Higgins
    Omega Men annual by Kevin O'Neill
    Nemesis sketch by Kevin O'Neill
    Lobster Random panel by Carl Critchlow
    BPRD The Dead#1 by Guy Davis
    Vampire illustration from White Wolf games manual by Guy Davis

...and a load of sketches and signed prints by Brain Bolland, Paul Gulacy, Ian Gibson, Mike Oeming, Frazer Irving, etc.

I'm a divil for the old 2000ad stuff...

• Advertisement

Another con and a new pile of stuff for my wall - I'm going to have to buy a bigger house

Original page from Hellcity by Joe Flood [HellCity 2 is out in October and the pages from it on show at MoCCA where just amazing]
    3 colour seperation silkscreen by Nick Moore
    Print from Koren Shadmi
    Print from Alex Cahill
    Sketchs from Hope Larson, Michel Gondry, a few of the Out of Picture crew.

Was really looking forward to getting a sketch or something from Dean Trippe but his wife was having a baby so he didn't make it to MoCCA [guess thats a pretty good reason for not going]

Tara McPherson was there and I manged not to buy anything from her - I'm very proud of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Got

Kingdom Come Batman sketch from Alex Ross (From the back of collected Kingdom Come) http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Kingdom-Come-Batman-Sketch-52985288
    Superman sketch in the style of Bruce Timm from Alex Ross (From Mythology collection) http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Superman-86416322
    Harley Quinn from Bruce Timm http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Harley-52984897
    Harley And Ivy sketch from Bruce Timm http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Harley-And-ivy-79056413
    Nude girl from Bruce Timm http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Bruce-Timm-Sketch-52983752
    Batman TAS production Cel from Legends Of The Dark Knight episode http://theirishgrover.deviantart.com/art/Batman-TAS-Production-Cel-86417337

Want: a Bruce Timm Poison Ivy on her own

Haven't got any actual comic pages yet. Although I am humming and hawing over a couple. some nice collections ye got there folks Who knew there was that much original stuff in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TickingOrange

Some good stuff there Irish Grover.
    I have a few sketchbooks signed by Neal Adams. I have a Kyle Rayner sketch by Ethan Van Sciver on his limited edition sketchbook. I have a Batman doodle by Matt Wagner on his sketchbook. I also have a comissioned inkwash of Zorro by Tim Sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I got a Stickman Deaths head II off Laim Sharp.

And a Page from Ironman Extremist as a house warming gift.

And I managed to win this from Thought Bubble last year.
    n837974707_264624_6251.jpg

I also have a Sketch Paul Cornell did of Mark Millar will on a break at the first Dublin comic con.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been meaning to buy some 2000ad art for years. alnolan, I am extremely envious! Almost thought I had some lovely ABC warriors stuff by Kev Walker from Hellbringer a little while ago. But alas, was outbid in the last few moments.

The only related stuff I have is some fan art I bought from ebay of The Dark Judges.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=24033

Won a nice little Bisley sketch on ebay last year for pennies.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/img_b.aspx?ImageID=409016&Pass=

Everything else I have then are animation cels.

Young Bart about to cut Lisa's hair -

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/img_b.aspx?ImageID=440290&Pass=

The rest is from Akira. Went through a bit of a phase there over a couple of years :eek: Almost have 100 pieces now. Really don't know what to do with them all. Cels cost an absolute fortune to get framed properly and even if you do, the light can still fade the paint.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=22533&Page=1

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been meaning to buy some 2000ad art for years. alnolan, I am extremely envious! Almost thought I had some lovely ABC warriors stuff by Kev Walker from Hellbringer a little while ago. But alas, was outbid in the last few moments.

The only related stuff I have is some fan art I bought from ebay of The Dark Judges.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=24033

Won a nice little Bisley sketch on ebay last year for pennies.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/img_b.aspx?ImageID=409016&Pass=

Everything else I have then are animation cels.

Young Bart about to cut Lisa's hair -

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/img_b.aspx?ImageID=440290&Pass=

The rest is from Akira. Went through a bit of a phase there over a couple of years :eek: Almost have 100 pieces now. Really don't know what to do with them all. Cels cost an absolute fortune to get framed properly and even if you do, the light can still fade the paint.

http://akiracels.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=22533&Page=1

Some nice stuff there Oisin. Like the Akira stuff. Now a Kev Walker ABC Warriors page would be awesome. Nice auld Joe Pineapples pose or something (Damn, I must dig them out of the attic).

Great to see how much is out there but c'mon folks, there must be more out there. C'mon, show off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I thought this might be an interesting topic :)

I have the final two pages from Dave Cooper's Crumple

I have a panel from Bob Byrne's Mr. Amperduke

I've also commissioned Bob to do some original art for some websites of mine.

I have a couple of original drawings from 2000AD, including Chopper, Judge Dredd, Judge Anderson, and a few other bits and pieces.

I plan to extend my collection, frame them and put them on my wall.

What about you?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi Aaaargh, I've merged your thread with an earlier thread that we had going on the topic to save on repetition. It's an interesting topic alright so hopefully we'll have some more people post up what they've got. I'll see if I can get some pictures up of the bits and pieces I have, it's much better to see things than just describe the...

Fysh wrote: »
    Hi Aaaargh, I've merged your thread with an earlier thread that we had going on the topic to save on repetition. It's an interesting topic alright so hopefully we'll have some more people post up what they've got. I'll see if I can get some pictures up of the bits and pieces I have, it's much better to see things than just describe the...

You're right. Here's my pics.

World's Finest by Bruce Timm
    Bruce_Timm__s_World__s_Finest_by_theirishgrover.jpg

Batgirl Adventures Cover by Bruce Timm
    Bruce_Timm__s_Batgirl_by_theirishgrover.jpg

Harley by Bruce Timm
    Harley_by_theirishgrover.jpg

Harley And Ivy by Bruce Timm (Sensing a pattern yet?)
    Harley_And_ivy_by_theirishgrover.jpg

Kingdom Come Batman Sketch (From the collected Kingdom Come) by Alex Ross
    Kingdom_Come_Batman_Sketch_by_theirishgrover.jpg

Nude by guess who, Bruce Timm
    Bruce_Timm_Sketch_by_theirishgrover.jpg

And a production animation cel from Batman TAS (The Dark Knight Returns segment of the Tales Of The Dark Knight episode in Frank Miller style
    Batman_TAS_Production_Cel_by_theirishgrover.jpg

And a couple of drawings from The Iron Giant (Before transferred to cel)
    Hogarth_from_The_Iron_Giant_by_theirishgrover.jpg
    Kent_from_The_Iron_Giant_by_theirishgrover.jpg

C'mon folks show us yer pics :)

I just bought a house earlier this year so I'm finally getting some of my prints framed and up on the wall - here's some of what I've framed so far - sorry pics are a little blurry

DSC00475.gif

DSC00476.gif

DSC00477.gif

DSC00478.gif

DSC00479.gif

DSC00480.gif

DSC00481.gif

DSC00482.gif

DSC00483.gif

DSC00484.gif

DSC00485.gif

DSC00486.gif

DSC00487.gif

DSC00498.gif

DSC00500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JesterWX

I just have two pieces of original comic book art, one is a page from an issue of Dragonlance from a few years back and the other is a page from Dork Tower by John Kovalic which has a character based on my image. I also have a couple of original paintings by Colin McNeil which were used to create some of the cards from the Battletech CCG a few years back.

Bump!!! Some deadly stuff there folks. C'mon people, pics out fer the lads :)

I know this is an old thread but I just got this the other day (In the framers ATM). I FINALLY got my colour Poison Ivy by Bruce Timm. Have been looking for one for a couple of years.Bruce Timm's take on Poison Ivy. A latter version based on the look they used in the last series on Batman TAS

109104.jpg

C'mon folks. Any updates?

Master of the Universe

Some of my 2000AD original art (And bead sprites I've been making ;))

Colin Mc Neil-

DSC_0045.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Colin Mc Neil cover mock up of Chopper that was never used.

Picture3732.jpg

Picture3573-1.jpg

Jason Brashill - Hammerstein - (I can remember reading this when I was off sick from school!)

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

John Hickleton - Nemesis: The Two Torquemadas. This piece is very special to me. I absolutely adore his work. This particular story/art was one of the reasons I ended up going to NCAD.

DSC_0050-1.jpg

The detail is really amazing. Can't see it so well in these photos. Can see it even less in the printed pages!

DSC_0051-1.jpg

DSC_0044-1.jpg

Peter Doherty - Judge Dredd: Justice One. Have the acetate speech overlay. Picked this one up as it was one of the first Dredd stories I ever read

DSC00012-1.jpg

Henry Flint: Playing card Nemesis/Deadlock

Seems I've never taken a picture of this one. Still using the ebay photo. Woops.. :pac:

Nemesis-deadlock.jpg

Greg Staples -

DSC00014-1.jpg

Oh my good God, is that a CHOPPER: Song Of The Surfer cover? Awesome collection Oisin.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh my good God, is that a CHOPPER: Song Of The Surfer cover? Awesome collection Oisin.

Thanks! I keep meaning to buy more. Expensive hobby though. And I'd just give up collecting animation cels..!

The Chopper one is a proposed alternative cover for Prog 585. It wasn't used though. They went with this one instead -

585-7.jpg

Looking at the Chopper stories from around then, it might have been because the story was pushed forward a few issues, as there's no Chopper in Prog 585! I think it was morely thank likely to be Soul On Fire

"Oz" (by John Wagner, Alan Grant and various artists, in 2000 AD #545-570, 1987)

Chopper "Soul on Fire" (by John Wagner and Colin MacNeil, in 2000 AD #594-597, 1988)
    o "Song of the Surfer" (by John Wagner and Colin MacNeil, in 2000 AD #654-665, 1989)

As it's very similar to a Soul on Fire cover -

594-3.jpg

Sorry to dig this one up but no point in starting a new thread. Here's my newest purchase. Bill Presing. He's a storyboard artist for Pixar and has also released a couple of art books. He released a book of Cheesecake art called Belle du jour. 100 collector's copies had an original drawing inside. This was the one I got.

167104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TickingOrange

Got these at Dublin city Comicon a few years back.
    Captain America by Olivier Coipel
    IMG_0004.jpg

Nick Fury by Adi Granov
    IMG_0003.jpg

(I know the patch is on the wrong eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eyepoke

Hi Guys

Hope people are still on this thread

Here is some of my stuff:

UTLS.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That page from Strange Talent of Luther Strode #6 is lovely!

Thanks Fysh . Its a great story , i take it you have read it?

Eyepoke wrote: »
    Thanks Fysh . Its a great story , i take it you have read it?

Yeah, it's one of my favourite reads from the last year or so :)

The Legend of Luther Strode is coming out in dec. cant wait for it http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012/10/09/the-legend-of-luther-strode-comic-book-series/1622709/

Master of the Universe

Got myself some more dream Hicklenton Nemesis artwork, including the last page from The Two Torquemadas (Have the two last pages now!)

They're absolutely incredible pages and these photos do them no justice. There's a lot of pasting of different artwork, especially page 49.

edit1.jpg

Here's a closeup just to show you the level of detail going on in each one

edit2.jpg

DSCF3167800x600-5.jpg

DSCF3163800x600-4.jpg

Here's the other two pages I already had.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0001-3.jpg

• Advertisement

very nice piece to add to your collection. i will post some off my 2000ad piece later. love your collection on caf

Advertisement