Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I think I've a problem..

Options
  • 31-05-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

With my air-con.

Its blowing, but the air is just cool.

Up until recently I sang its praises, it really cooled the interior right now - made the interior really cold and refreshing in the heat.

Now its just not up it the job anylonger.

Any suggestions?.

The car is a 2006 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just need a refill I imagine though I'd like to have got more than 2 years out of it! Has any work been done under bonnet/inside the dash lately? Its possible a pipe join or similair took a knock and you have a leak.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mike65 wrote: »
    Just need a refill I imagine though I'd like to have got more than 2 years out of it! Has any work been done under bonnet/inside the dash lately? Its possible a pipe join or similair took a knock and you have a leak.

Mike.

Only work done was a service recently, but it was straight forward enough.

Whats up with the refill?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure to be honest, what happens AFAIK is the old gas vacuumed out and a fresh load put in.

Just found this from Auto Express.
    On top of this, the air-con needs recharging each year (£69)

Sounds like you have in fact done well!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mike65 wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest, what happens AFAIK is the old gas vacuumed out and a fresh load put in.

Just found this from Auto Express.

Sounds like you have in fact done well!

Mike.

Cheer's, I'll give the dealers a ring and have it recharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Have them change the pollen filter first (or diy!) - if it's very dirty, it could have the same effect as what you're saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I see on the telly that Halfords re-charge air-cons in the UK. Anyone know if they do it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I don't know how effective they are - if you have a leak in the system, you're just pumping refridgerant straight into the atmosphere (and possibly your lungs) - and that ain't the best idea!

AFAIK, (in the UK anyway) it is, or will be, illegal to do any work on a car's air-con system without the relevant training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Ok so I stopped being lazy and actually rang them (Halfords Carlow). They re-fill in "some cases :confused:" and it costs "something like €73" and can only be done on some days when "Andy :confused:" is there. God they do instill confidence don't they!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any place that deals in refridgeration should be able to regas the air con for you assuming this is your problem. If that doesn't solve the problem then they might have to diagnose the air con system for leaks, etc.

Such places are listed in the goldenpages.

Advertisement