Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Geography left - Lacking the motivation

Options
  • 30-05-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have two full days to go over Geography, and this will be the only revision I can do on it before the actual exam. I just feel like it cheated on me! In 5th year & LC I never got below an A in a class test, then the mocks come round and I get a 65%! Even my subjects that I felt I was worse at beat it . . .

Now I get the feeling that it'll be the same again, the way that my mocks were marked, I feel as though I could write a perfect answer and the examiner would give me half marks. Plus the god-awful way the questions are phrased, I could end up writing a full-mark answer on the wrong topic!

I feel my Field study is A standard.
    Section 1 - I should be able to get over 72/80 anyway.
    Elective = Geoecology - Is Characteristics of Soil / thorough covering of a Tropical Rainforest Biome enough?

The middle three sections, I hate them. I have all the info, but I just feel that my exam will be marked hard again? Is it fair to say that it's the hardest marked exam out there?

Is it true that you shouldn't write in point format? My teacher always liked it, but a newspaper columnist said it brings your clarity marks down?

And what did your teachers tell you to keep an eye out for this year? My teacher is rubbish, I haven't gone to Geography in months at school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

One the part about writing in points, I always found it handy because I thought I could judge how many srp's I was going to get by them... according to my teacher its a bad idea.
    So we came to the conclusion that if you write everything in paragraphs your more than likely gonna get a srp for it, even if the paragraph is like 4 lines long.

What to look out for. Well in geography I find it hard to predict but in geo-ecology it was basically all soils last year so I think biomes is very likely this year and as you said you've covered all parts of the biome so thats good.

I too got mostly A's in geography and expected a really high result in the pre's but got 74% (which I was still fairly happy with), Since then though I've got to know the exam structure a lot better so I'm hoping to bring that up a fair bit. The thing that worries me the most at this stage is the time constraint, your really stuck for time because I have all the info and wonder if i'll be able to throw it all out for the exam.

If your worried about the way you'll be marked theres some handy tips I think, with points even though if there fairly far afield just relate them back to the question and they'll give you the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Are examit's answers up to full-mark standard? they seem quite a bit on the short side?

http://www.e-xamit.ie/2005test/php/GetDocByID.php?id=7746&prep=7747&soln=7746&tip=7750&port=7748

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Will Bioe definitley come up in geoecology?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Alan Smith wrote: »
    Will Bioe definitley come up in geoecology?:pac:

It better

2007 = 1 Biome Q
    2006 = 2 Biome Q's

I hope that's not an early pattern for the new course!

One of the sample paper's have 3 Biome Q's in the one paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

fivetwenty wrote: »
    It better

2007 = 1 Biome Q
    2006 = 2 Biome Q's

I hope that's not an early pattern for the new course!

One of the sample paper's have 3 Biome Q's in the one paper!
    Myself and a lot of friends will be quite ****ed if it doesn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I know the basics of soil but i'm really hoping it will be the biome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

1huge1 wrote: »
    I too got mostly A's in geography and expected a really high result in the pre's but got 74% (which I was still fairly happy with), Since then though I've got to know the exam structure a lot better so I'm hoping to bring that up a fair bit. The thing that worries me the most at this stage is the time constraint, your really stuck for time because I have all the info and wonder if i'll be able to throw it all out for the exam.

As did I and I ended up getting 70% in the mock. The way I plan to do it this time, is do the best questions I can possibly do first. I wasted a lot of time with the Human Elective (Human Environment) when I should had done the Option and Regions better. So this time the way I'm going to order it is.

1. Short Questions,
    2. Physical
    3. Regions
    4. Options,
    5. Human Elective

and if I run out of time on the last bit, if I do well on the others that I am good at I'll settle for half marks.

I'm doing Culture and Identity for the option though. The soils were far too boring.

Advertisement