Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry -Higher Level

Options
  • 30-05-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

****ed for this too.....but Im doing honours cause i cant see much of a drop between that and Pass.

So any tips on what main areas to cover? Predictions?

I have all experiments revised and a vague understanding of Organic Chem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Know your titrations and the calculations that go with them. More than likely its gonna be the bleach titration or the iron tablet titration so I'd say know those two well. Go over the organic experiments they are bound to come up in some shape or form. Rates of Reactions is a handy enough question if you know the theory, and its not that hard. Also the water chapter is grand too. Ionisation energies & the mass spectrometer have been tipped to come up so try and cover the theory of that and do the exam questions (sect B q 5s) The industrial or atmospheric option is guaranteed to come up so learn them and Radioactivity is another easy one too!

Btw even if you just attempt question 4 you get 2 extra marks! Seems small now but it might just be the difference between grades :D GL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lovechem wrote: »
    Btw even if you just attempt question 4 you get 2 extra marks! Seems small now but it might just be the difference between grades :D GL!!
    maybe things have changed since when i did it last year, but when i did question four those 2 'remainder' (because 8 doesn't go into 50...) marks were not automatically awarded. It was something along the lines of, get 4 out of 8 right, get an extra mark, get 8 out of eight get two extra marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

cocoa wrote: »
    maybe things have changed since when i did it last year, but when i did question four those 2 'remainder' (because 8 doesn't go into 50...) marks were not automatically awarded. It was something along the lines of, get 4 out of 8 right, get an extra mark, get 8 out of eight get two extra marks.

Ah really? My teacher said it to me there before we finished! I see I see that way actually makes more sense logically ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Know all your experiments - that's 3 q's

Know your atomic theory - that's 1q

Q4 should be alright - that's 1 q

Fuels/thermochem - that's 1 q

Organic reactions/families - that's 1 q

Total........................... - 7 q's out of eight !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

id go for chemical equilibrium as well :) very nice questions.. just need to know few rules and definitions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

yeah, there wasnt a full question on equilibreum or rates of reactions last year, looks like at least one of them will come up this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lastminutequest

Aw jesus, i didnt expect so mny great, quick replies!!

Thanks a lot ALL of ye....dats actually calmed me a bit cause iv an OK understanding of some of the above things!!

Cheers again folks!

Gluck to anyone else do da lc too!!

4 days!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i hate hate hate chemistry:)
    i went to look up the definiton of chemistry
    and there was 1 in my book, another 1 written down next to it(second hand book), and another one in my less stress book......they all seemed wrong!!!:(
    does anyone have the right one?:P
    and no it's not in the marking schemes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lastminutequest

Why da hell would you need that?? haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Why da hell would you need that?? haha :)

cause i do chemistry, it cud be a short question, it cud be in question 5, it cud be in question 10 or 11?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jediyoda

if your really stuck:

revise organic 1 qs

iron tabs/bleach titration 1 qs

ethene/etheyene/steam/ethanl preps 1 qs (all easy)

fuels/thermo 1qs

equilibria (easiest question on course) 1qs

ph/water at least half qs

with only 5 days to go you could learn all of thes in 2days max and be able tog et 40 outta 50 in dem so 20 in half qs so if you do that itll leave you with..... 220/ 400

den try cram other 3 to bump you up to a c grade?

Advertisement